Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.5.1 Crashes.  (Read 2231 times)

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
AutoHarp 1.5.1 Crashes.
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
Hello,

I bought Autoharp a while back and it worked on my Windows 8 laptop (eww I know). I created a character with Harp Fantasy..... Now when I attempt to create character with HARP SF (also have HARP SF and SF Extreme) It crashes.
I pick Human
I pick Belter
Male
Advanced Technology.
Middle Class
Pick the three talents as
Bonus skills ranks
Skill specialization
Skill Flexibility

Add 3 to Str
Add 2 Agil
Add to Quickness
Add 3 to Reasoning

I click next.

I pick Scout as a profession.

Now it will either crash there or take a very long time before it loads the info.

If it doesn't crash when I click on Next it says
Cannot find Outdoor Category...Skipping...  then does nothing.
I wait for 10 mins. (Yes, 10 mins)
I need to end task in task manager.
I have uninstalled and removed the folder.
I have re-installed and I saw there was a patch. I installed that as well. Re-Installed the databases and continue to get the error.

I have set it to run as administrator and  Windows XP SP3 compatibility with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mr. Grimm

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: AutoHarp 1.5.1 Crashes.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
Sorry, as a side note. I just tried another Harp Fantasy character and locks up on the profession page as well.

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
OKAY!  The 14th time I try it..... it works..... and the 15th time it works.... I have no idea why?  I guess nevermind..

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
Hello,

this error sounds familiar where the program was crashing on the profession screen. This actually has to do with the database having erroneous data. It was a mix up when I created the application for download. I added documents that were not supposed to be there and other files with information that was not supposed to be there. The best course of action is to remove the WHOLE application folder to make sure the database is deleted. If you cannot do this, then back it up to a separate folder. Then reinstall using the RPGNow files. If you download from sourceforge and you still get this error that means I completely missed putting 1.5.1 on source forge. I can check to see if I have done that. This should resolve the issue. If between the 13th and 14th time you reinstalled then that could have been why it suddenly worked.

I didn't realize this was a Harp Fantasy issue, just a Harp Sci-fi. Can you confirm that you were able to replicate this on Harp Fantasy? Thanks!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
Okay I noticed that I haven't uploaded the full on 1.5.1 version on SourceForge yet but the patch is still there. Installing the patch SHOULD resolve the issue. You install it in the same folder as the application. It's just overwriting a few files in the database. I need to upload the new version because I'm pretty sure having to have a path of files to install in a specific order is confusing.

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
Monk,

I would seem I did re-install between the 13th and 14th time I tried it. I verified that it is working in both Harp Fantasy and Harp Sci Fi. I have gone in multiple times since then and have made several characters with no more issues.

I am creating a starting adventure for a new Harp SF campaign I am hoping to start online with a Virtual Tabletop.

Thanks for your fast reply. It is appreciated.

Mr. Grimm

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
Since I have your attention......

Is there a way to save the characters in any other format other than xml? Like maybe plain text or ODT or DOCX?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:11:03 PM »
At this time no. The reason the characters are saved in XML is because that's the only way AutoHARP can read it. One thing you could do is print it to PDF. That's about the extent of other formats.

Sorry.

Offline MrGrimm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »
At this time no. The reason the characters are saved in XML is because that's the only way AutoHARP can read it. One thing you could do is print it to PDF. That's about the extent of other formats.

Sorry.

I just wanted to say sorry for taking so long to respond... I tried it with PDF Creator and it works inside of The Keep by NBOS software so I am happy with that.  Thanks.