Author Topic: Space Master New/Unified  (Read 6457 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Space Master New/Unified
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
SM:P is plenty generic.  I run a homebrewed setting that is currently limited to Sol system.  No animal races, though I have been tempted to use them as genetic slaves/assassins.  Highly illegal slaves/assassins I might add.  I have resisted temptation so far, but all that pre-made material is so very inviting.

Seeing ICE grow big and strong enough to write setting books would be most welcome and make me very, very happy.  Maybe Pete could produce his Eastern Middle Earth stuff under a different name for RM?  Terry is obviously taking a re-release of the Empire seriously.  Considering how creative Defendi's work in SM:P was, maybe he could be tapped to write something? 

Time will tell.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline danskmacabre

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • www.chaos8.com
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »
I would buy an SMU (and RMU for that matter).
I would find it very difficult to find people to run it, but I'd get it for old times sake and a good read.
I just don't think a lot of roleplayers these days have the patience to learn RM.\
All my old RM and SM players are spread over the world, although we sometimes chat about RM and RM with fond memories, but I doubt we'll ever game together again.

I was never that fussed on Privateers, although I did buy most of the books many years ago. I probably wouldn't buy into a re-hash of Privateers.
www.chaos8.com

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 02:02:08 AM »
I've been running two people new to RM in my RMU playtest but the rest have RM experience. Your average Newbie might be turned off by the complexity but I think most would give it a shot if the opportunity arose.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
For myself, I liked the Privateers setting and I'd like some answers.  What happens to androids that log into the datanet?  What is behind the Kagoth turning bloodthirsty, or perhaps what wore off that turned them peaceful?  Why are there no signals from races beyond known space?  What were the ancients up to?  Who were the ancients?  Those kind of things.  I've thought about doing some articles and put some work into a character editor but really I'm awfully busy and not very motivated.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:48 AM »
I have to admit after my RMU Playtest I'll be gun-shy about SMU now. That said, I'd love for Terry to produce an updated system agnostic setting book, with SMU, SM2 & HARP Sci-Fi system specific crunch for the setting if needed (likely for both HARP Sci-Fi & SMU). As long as the new update doesn't have a ton of new rules or crunch heavy elements I could use it with SM2 supplement.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 05:07:00 AM »
Spacemaster should be interchangeable with rolemaster.

Rolemaster should be the core book and Spacemaster a "Companion" book that gives you the professions, skills, talents and equipment for running generic Space games.

What he said. :)

IMHO.... RMU is taking a very long time to organise. (rightly so) BUT the matter of making it FULLY generic should have been a prime consideration in it's design. What I do not want to see is a Core system that cannot fully handle the additional complexities of what is simply another genre. I want to be able to easily adapt genre specific "Details" into RMU rather than adding "Rules Changes/Additions".  I.e. Piloting, Psionics, Space flight, Science ALL these should be easily slotted into the RMU seamlessly.   

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
That was discussed quite a bit in the design of RMU, back when I was still involved.  I think SMU will go much faster because the system will be all hashed out and it'll be more a matter of filling in the blanks.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
  From what I have seen is that it may be the same universe as SM2 as Terry K Amthor has been asking questions about that universe setting. But again a lot of things can happen before a product is published.
 But if there is enough interest I think that the Privateers Universe setting could have a set of books also.
MDC

The current plan is to do a new edition of the original Barrett/Amthor Imperium setting. Defendi's SpaceMaster is a different universe, and, while compelling, is incompatible. These would have to be done separately.

I would go for this.  Too bad about Aliens and Artifacts, though.

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 12:37:13 AM »
Anyone got any sort of update on activity for this product?
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~