Author Topic: Guild Companion March 2015 (Issue 193)  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion March 2015 (Issue 193)
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion; Issue 193 is available at www.guildcompanion.com. This month, we open with the Zephyr, a well-armed light freighter for HARP Sci-Fi, developed by Clint Fell. You will also find the Theurgist, which Cory Magel rescued from the cutting room floor as Channeling Companion was being finalized.

Peter Mork
Guild Companion Editor

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Guild Companion March 2015 (Issue 193)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Nice write-up on the Zephyr. I don't have any use for it, but nice story and interesting ship. I might question, however, the black market price. If the equipment (cloaking, weaponry) is difficult to obtain legally (which is implied), I could see a stolen ship going for full price, not discounted.

Also liked the Theurgist. Only suggestion there is that the links to the spell lists are a little too easy to overlook.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
Thanks,

I had two reasons for the cheaper black market prices on the zephyr.  First, I wanted a reason to make it even remotely plausible that a party might have access to a ship that would cost as much as this (without stealing it themselves of course).  And second I figured whoever made off with the ships would not want to sit on them long as they are way too high profile - so they would try to sell them quickly and thus at a reduced price.  Also nothing on the ship is itself actually illegal in most federation ports.  It is the combination of components that really causes eyebrows to raise.  If the mega-corps didn't have the political pull that they do their suit and injunction wouldn't have legs to run on.

The ship is pretty overgunned by the standards of the the stock Tintamar craft, so some ports might object just to that.  The cloaking/spoofing capabilities also may raise red flags in some ports - especially if the owner doesn't have legal privateer/mercenary credentials.

If people like this design, I may do more like it in the future. 

Thanks for the feedback,
-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
I can speak to part of the reasoning pyrotech is using.  If something is rare and desired having it is going to draw a LOT of attention, which can lead to difficulty in selling it.  Something as obvious as a large ship is going to create problems for a person, especially one that should not possess it.

It actually makes me think of an online game called "Pirates of the Burning Sea".  Pirates can't make ships of the line, but they can potentially steal them.  It's a very rare occurrence.  But if you do get your hands on one and you try to sail around in it, you're going to draw pirate hunting ships like cow dung to flies!
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 12:48:31 AM »
I like the ship but I did not see the larger of the two lasers listed on the deck plans, where is it?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
LOL,  well I never found a good piece of art to use for it so I never put it in.  I actually justified this with myself by thinking it is in some of the "wasted" space in the curvature of the hull below the lower deck. 

I actually wondered how long it would be before someone would ask me that!

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 11:56:44 PM »
It's retractile of course!
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss