Author Topic: ERA in 2017 - What next?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA in 2017 - What next?
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
With a quarter of the year behind us, 2 new updates and 3 packages so far in the year, I wanted to check what you think should be the focus for ERA in the months to come.

Of course RMU is still top priority, that is without question.
But while we wait, let me know what you would want the most.

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA in 2017 - What next?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Random Treasure generator would be my ultimate choice. One which I would pay for.

TAKE MAH MONEEEEEE!!!11eleventy!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »
I would love to see a random treasure generator too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Random treasure generator, I agree
ERA user for RM2 and RMC.

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:45 AM »
Treasure generator and integrated TP managment... ;)
Thanks in advance.

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:50:14 PM »
How about some bundle pricing, or some kind of multiple-module discount? I'd like to get this for RMSS, but if I want to get the complete program (for RMSS) I need to buy rather a lot of individual modules...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »
How about some bundle pricing, or some kind of multiple-module discount? I'd like to get this for RMSS, but if I want to get the complete program (for RMSS) I need to buy rather a lot of individual modules...

I would second that. I play either RM2 or RMU (when the latter is released), and would very much lime to just buy one module with everything released for the edition i am playing. A kind of lifetime membership maybe.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Frunobulax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
With a quarter of the year behind us, 2 new updates and 3 packages so far in the year, I wanted to check what you think should be the focus for ERA in the months to come

Voriig, I mean this with all respect to you for what you've created - it's really helpful.  I realize that what I suggest will not happen, but I want to say it anyways.  And I have and do use the ERA software, mostly for character creation.

I think what you should do with ERA is to more or less scrap it and have you use your time and excellent programming skills working on the RMC ruleset and addons for Fantasy Grounds.  No offense, but lets' face it - Fantasy Grounds is light years beyond ERA in every way except character creation.  But the FG RMC rule set is really pretty far behind the others.  Despite your obvious skill, there's just no comparison between adventuring in FG versus ERA.  Not just graphically and atmospherically (though that is important), but in almost all aspects.   The combat resolution in ERA works well mechanically, but it's not a lot of fun looking at circles on a white web page background compared to all the images and battlemaps available for FG.  I think you are re-inventing the wheel, and it is sad to me.  I wish you worked for Fantasy Grounds or were a contributor.  The uleset could stand a ton of improvements, and you're just the guy to do them.

Again, this isn't an attack, and I have great respect for what you've done, but all this duplication of effort seems like a waste when it seems more logical to have everyone at FG and Iron Crown working to make the best possible tool for the game.  I realize you are probably loathe to give up your baby, but a better FG ruleset would be best for the Rolemaster system as a whole and would make it a more popular choice for FG players.

Anyways, thanks for listening, and best of luck whatever you do.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »
The random treasure generator is really gathering a crowd. I will try to focus on it as soon as I finish the combat tutorials and some RMU rules that are still missing.

About the bundled modules, I can only say that your request has been noted, and will be considered.

@Frunobulax I'm flattered by your words. Here I must ask you to understand that ERA started as a tool for my gaming group. I decided to share it with the rest of the community and I'm happy to see that many people are using it.

As regards the visual difference between the applications, remember that ERA is meant to be a tool to be used on the table and not the interface for the game itself, as it was never designed for online play on its own. That is the main reason why the mobile character status module is the most fine tuned in terms of aesthetics, since it's the only one the players might interact with during a session. I intend the user interface to be comfortable, but I still think playing a RPG face to face should focus on the imagination of the group.

I am open to helping FG improve the RM rulesets, if that will get more people to play RM. But that initiative must be on their side, I already have a full time job and other personal projects. ERA features are improved as my spare time and energy allow, but the biggest motivator is still helping my gaming group have the best roleplaying experience possible. In the final adventure of my campaign, I needed a special feature and I just added it, I could never do that if it were part of a larger product.

The interaction between rules and the changes from one RM version to another is also what I enjoy from working on ERA. I have already presented 3 technical talks about different parts of the development process and that can only be done if I get to decide how things are done and in what order.

As you can see I have a formed opinion on these matters, and I have no issue commenting on them, but I'm not sure if this thread would be the right place to do so. You can send a PM if there is any other subject I have not covered with my answer. In any case, thanks again for your comments.

Offline carlmund

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:30:51 AM »
The ability to add new attack and critical tables. I'm thinking here of Spacemaster and extra companion classes in RM2. I also use Fantasy Grounds so a big second to all those who want your obvious skills to be used there!
Andrew

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
The ability to add new attack and critical tables. I'm thinking here of Spacemaster and extra companion classes in RM2. I also use Fantasy Grounds so a big second to all those who want your obvious skills to be used there!

But you can add attack tables, criticals and skills!
There is no module in ERA to edit them, but you can always manually edit the configuration files. This is considered "advanced customization" but it can be done.

Criticals are the easiest to add, followed by attack tables. Skills are also possible but you might need to work on custom professions as well, depending on how much you want to change.

I'd highly recommend you check the Advanced Customization Thread in this very forum. There are many old posts from people who have added SM skills and other stuff. If the posts there don't answer your questions, you can always post in that thread and ask for more!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Wish granted
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/461/Iron-Crown-Enterprises?term=iron+crown&filters=0_45305_0_0_0

As of today, we are offering some ERA for Rolemaster packages bundled at 50% discount.
ERA for RMC Core Datasets includes Character Law, Arms Law, Spell Law, Creatures.
ERA for RMFRP Core Datasets includes Character Law, Arms Law, Spell Law, Creatures.
ERA for RMFRP Companion Datasets includes Arcane Companion, Essence Companion, Channeling Companion, Mentalism Companion.

Thanks for helping us provide the product you want.

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:43:06 PM »
Thanks Voriig!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
As stated in the latest director's briefing, you can now get the RMFRP Fire and Ice package for ERA on RPGNow.

I started this poll on April 01, so that's 5 months ago today.
Some of the most voted features are done: Flaws, Combat tutorials, Fire & ice.

I guess the next feature to tackle would be the treasure generator, most likely as part of a Treasure Companion package.
RMU is still top priority, and my playtesting sessions are giving good results so far.

Offline grona73

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
That UI stinks ass its not intuitive but otherwise great.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
I guess the next feature to tackle would be the treasure generator, most likely as part of a Treasure Companion package.

AWESOME!!!
Treasure Companion has the three Alchemist classes, which nearly completes all the character classes. 
Then maybe  School of Hard Knocks to get some of the remaining classes. 

Mal

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
I'm posting here although it's now 2018, since the process started last year.
It's been a lot of work to get it done, so now it's up to you to let me know what you think. The Treasure Module is complete and available in the latest update.

You can purchase RMC Treasures / RMFRP Treasure Companion, and that will install all the corresponding item and wealth tables from the books.
Treasure and money generation can start from any point in the process you like. So if you know you want to choose a magical sword, just choose the corresponding table and roll on that one.

You can also use the Complete Remaining Rolls function to roll as many times as required for each subsequent table. There is a Summarize Treasure button to interpret all the results for you.

I really hope you like it, and let me know of any improvement you can think of for future versions (preferably in a separate thread).

Happy gaming :D

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Will there be an ERA in 2018 thread?

I was thinking it would be useful to have a feature that lets players browse the spell lists they don't have.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
Will there be an ERA in 2018 thread?
Hmmm, I was planning to tackle the remaining "highly" voted features of improved printable character sheet and creature management module. Maybe once I start with them I can review the remaining ideas and create a new poll.

I was thinking it would be useful to have a feature that lets players browse the spell lists they don't have.
In the next version, the character sheet module will allow you to get a detail of all the spells in a list included in your skills. Unknown spells appear grayed out but visible, so you could add a new skill with the spell list of interest and check all its spells.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »
Hmmm, I was planning to tackle the remaining "highly" voted features of improved printable character sheet and creature management module. Maybe once I start with them I can review the remaining ideas and create a new poll.

Understood, that makes sense.

In the next version, the character sheet module will allow you to get a detail of all the spells in a list included in your skills. Unknown spells appear grayed out but visible, so you could add a new skill with the spell list of interest and check all its spells.

That sounds awesome. I was thinking more of a list lookup for players who don't have Spell Law, so everyone isn't waiting for 3 people to share one copy. This works too. I could just create three characters named Essence, Channelling, and Mentalism and add all the realm lists to 50 as a work around.