Author Topic: College of Magics & Creating Permanent Spells?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline SolomonShort

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
College of Magics & Creating Permanent Spells?
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
So I was looking at various concepts with the more recent (2nd Edition?) College of Magics (including redownloading from DriveThru to make sure I was looking at the most recent version I have access to), & I noticed that even the both the 2nd edition core book & College of Magics itself contain spells with base durations of "Permanent", not to mention the use of Rituals to create permanent effects, I couldn't actually find anything about designing such spells?

I did a quick search on the forums here, & in the thread Spell Duration Scaling "NicholasHMCaldwell" (whom one would be inclined to consider the expert) mentions that " The scaling options are designed such that it is actually possible to make a spell Permanent, albeit with a +20 PP scaling option (-100 casting penalty).".

Is this covered somewhere in an errata document I've been unable to find/download?

N.B. The Spells I mention are:
  • Create Undead (Cleric Sphere, Core pg123)
  • Cure Disease (Cleric Sphere, Core pg123)
  • Holy Symbol (Cleric Sphere, Core pg125)
  • Earthen Transmutations (Mage Sphere, Core pg132)
  • Magestaff (Great Circle of The Thaumaturge, CoM pg94)
  • Molding (Great Circle of The Thaumaturge, CoM pg95)
  • Preserve Charm (Great Circle of The Thaumaturge, CoM pg95)
  • Stabilize Elixir (Great Circle of The Thaumaturge, CoM pg96)
  • Rejuvenation (implied by description, maybe "instant"?, Great Circle of The Vivamancer, CoM pg99)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: College of Magics & Creating Permanent Spells?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
It is 200 points to have a Duration  of Permanent. If required as a scaling option, then the cost is +20 PP as a scaling option.

The very high-end spell creation and scaling options will be published in Something Wicked,  but they were used when we produced HARP Fantasy and HARP  College of Magics,

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline SolomonShort

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
Thank you

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
How close are those high end options to what was published in TGC?
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
How close are those high end options to what was published in TGC?

Close in places but those values were in synch with the 2004 edition of HARP Revised. Something Wicked evolved from my original CoM work and the actual text in my manuscript needs further amendment now.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline SolomonShort

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »
Would it be possible to get an overview the additional spell creation options/features that will (hopefully) be forthcoming in Something Wicked, & maybe any subsequent books that planned as having relevant material?

Offline craig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
It is 200 points to have a Duration  of Permanent. If required as a scaling option, then the cost is +20 PP as a scaling option.

Why double the cost as a scaling option?   200 aspect points adds 10 PP to the base PP cost, and the old epic spell-scaling document from TGC has Permanent as +10 PP (I've used it several times in homebrew spells, including in my Improved Light spell).

+20 PP is extremely expensive (requires an extra 20 ranks, i.e. 7 levels worth of max ranks/level, and thus 40 or 80 DP to develop).

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
When adding something to the base spell,  the points cost is divided by 20. When figuring out the cost in  PPs of scaling options, their points cost is divided by 10.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell