Author Topic: bonus base spell lists for pure spell users  (Read 1212 times)

Offline louis77

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
bonus base spell lists for pure spell users
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »
Hi all,
I'm a new GM of RMC/RM2. In the rules they say that a pure spell user can choose four extra list from his Realm as his base spell lists. Then they suggest to choose among open/close lists and not from other classes' base to retain classes peculiarities (I suppose).

Do you usually let your players choose other classes base lists as bonus base spell lists for your pure spell users?

For a pure spell user, open and close spell lists are available up to 20th level, so choosing one of them will upgrade up to 50th level (that is 3 spells more per list). Choosing another class base spell list would boost the number of spells by 16-20 per list...

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: bonus base spell lists for pure spell users
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
No, I do not allow them to choose other professions base lists.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline louis77

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice :)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
Other base lists can be very powerful; that's another reason why we dont allow them to be chosen as base lists outside their profession. Generally speaking, base lists are the most powerful lists in the game, followed by closed and then open.

One other thing to consider is that, IIRC, characters are only supposed to have six base lists total (I dont have the rules with me so there might be various options and an option to have up to 10?l). But i think one should keep a maximum number of lists total, again for balance reasons.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »
You could reduce the number of available Base Lists for "buying" another Profession's Base.
Sacrifice 1 or 2 of your own Prof's available Lists to get one Base.. Or even make those Closed..
That would be expensive, but it takes time to interrupt your studies and learn another, unrelated, List.

Just a thought.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
In our RMFRP campaign, the GM allowed it, but personally I would not. It removes most of what distinguishes the pure spellcasting professions. In my own RMU campaign, because I did some restructuring of spell lists, I let all the pure casters pick any base lists from the realm (rather than having assigned base lists per profession), but I don't really like the outcome. I'm moving to have a smaller set of lists that each profession can choose from.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Though I don't, technically, allow to choose other base spell lists as additional base spell lists:
  • First, I don't have closed definitions of any profession anyway, and favour concepts over rules, so if a character's concept would make him actually have a mix-and-match of several different professions' base spell lists, and I accept the concept, I'd just create a new "profession" with these spell lists, not even considering to restrain the number of "pure" base lists to six,
  • I don't have a notion of "magical realms" when it comes to spell lists (and professions), so a character may choose any open or closed spell lists to add to his existing ones.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline louis77

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
After have read all your comments I think I will limit the player in choosing their bonus lists among open and close ones, but I think I will let them retain from choosing one or more of them to leave open the possibility of learning some extra lists during the game.
For example if I want to introduce a new list in my campaign, after finding an ancient book of magic or a well hidden knowledge, they will be new closed lists and then eligible to be studied as new bonus base lists.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
Agreed with others.
Pure Spell Users cannot choose extra base lists from anything but Open/Closed.

That said, do use the extended rules where they can always spend more DP on "Base, not Own; Same Realm".
I know my own PCs that I create sometimes dabble in others' lists despite the crazy expense to do so.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
With us no other professions base lists.  Open, Closed, and your own Training Packages lists.  If you pick access to a spell list via Talents that might be allowed.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss