Author Topic: Ring of Familiar  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ring of Familiar
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
I don't know why I never thought of this before, and I'm curious if others have used this. It would be relatively straightforward for an alchemist in RM2 to make a Ring of Familiar - it's just a 1st level spell, so Daily 1 would cover it. The wearer could then use it for the requisite 7 days, and sell it to someone else.

What am I missing? Would this actually bond the familiar to the maker of the ring? (That seems possible, but a GM call) Or is one Ring of Familiar going to lead to everyone in the village having a familiar?
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ring of Familiar
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
How else did every character on the covers end up with a familiar?

More seriously, you still have to successfully attune with the ring to use it (no retries until you increase your ranks in staves/wands or attunement) and then, if the spell is not of your realm, do so again each time you use it.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
How else did every character on the covers end up with a familiar?
Funny - that was the first thing I thought when I came up with this!
More seriously, you still have to successfully attune with the ring to use it (no retries until you increase your ranks in staves/wands or attunement) and then, if the spell is not of your realm, do so again each time you use it.
True. Unless the ring is made intelligent, so it can be used without a s/w roll.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
A first level potion is pretty quick and easy to make and is usable by anyone without the skill roll.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
A first level potion is pretty quick and easy to make and is usable by anyone without the skill roll.

You would need 7, but that's true.