Author Topic: ERA Combat Tutorials  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA Combat Tutorials
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
As requested here, I have dedicated some time to recording new tutorial videos, to show the combat capabilities of ERA.
But that is just the excuse.
As part of the effort to make ERA easier to use, I have redesigned the attack and spell casting dialogs. You can see them in the tutorials, and also in the new ERA version, which was updated today.
Hopefully these new dialogs will provide a better experience and will help more users get the most out of the application.

As always, I am eager to know what you think about it, and how it could be improved in the future. You can make your opinion known here in the forums, in the comments on the videos, and also as a review on RPGNnow or DriveThruRPG.

This new version also includes the first attempt at providing a spell book for the characters, intended to be used while checking the character in a smartphone or tablet.
While on the Character Status Module, you can open the spell section, and click on a black book icon on the right. This will take you to the Spell Book Module. There will be improvements on it in future versions, but you can already access it and share your opinion.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA Combat Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
I like the Tutorial but there is one thing I am having trouble with.

Are the "NPC's from the Master Character Table (M5.8) from Character Law pg.121 included in the program somewhere?  And if so where?

I am looking for a quick way to create an encounter with 2 fighters and 3 rogues for the party without taking the time out to enter statics for 5 NPC's on the fly.  I type slow, and the instant non monsterous-bad guy would help immensly.

I am also lazy and do not want to create a "pc" version of every class to use as generic Minions.

Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA Combat Tutorials
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »
I like the Tutorial
I'm glad you do! :D

Are the "NPC's from the Master Character Table (M5.8) from Character Law pg.121 included in the program somewhere?
I am sorry to tell you, they are not.

I am looking for a quick way to create an encounter with 2 fighters and 3 rogues for the party without taking the time out to enter statics for 5 NPC's on the fly.
I can offer you the following alternatives:
  • Create a new NPC as shown in the NPC tutorial, and add only the minimum information you require. Then, you can choose to add more NPCs using the copy option (the fourth one shown at this moment). That way you only write what you need, and only once for each character.
  • You can create your own "creatures" by editing the files in the "Configuration/Creatures" directory. This would be considered advanced customization. The sample creatures should allow you to copy and adjust for the desired values. If you choose this path, remember to post any questions about the format on the advanced customization thread, so that others can also benefit from the knowledge you gain.
  • Gather a crowd at the ERA feature poll. The options listed are just ideas I had or requests made in previous posts by the users. I could prepare a package with the NPCs in the table you mention, maybe combine it with the contents in Heroes and Rogues and release it on RPGNow. For that you would first need to beat the current vote, which seems to favor the treasure generator.

Thanks for your interest in ERA. I hope one of those options do the trick for you.