Author Topic: Ammo consumption for Combat Actions  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ammo consumption for Combat Actions
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »
It's great that we have the Aimed Burst, Spread Burst, and Suppression Fire Combat Actions. Unfortunately, none of these seem to mention anything about increased ammunition consumption for their use. Maybe I'm just missing it in SF, but logically, any of these would use more than one bullet, charge, or shell, right? Thank you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Ammo consumption for Combat Actions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Way back around the turn of this decade I asked this very same question.  Here is what Nicholas said:
Any form of burst or suppression fire takes one round.

In terms of the number of bullets/bolts required for a burst, for spread burst, you need a minimum of three bullets/bolts per target. For aimed burst, use the same unless the weapon is something like a revolver or some such where "burst fire" is actually representing a "double tap". Likewise for fully automatic weapons like machine guns, bursts may trivially go through tens of bullets.

The rules allow for finetuning, so GMs with a plethora of gun expertise can adjust the rate of ammunition to suit specific weapons. The weapons in the HARP SF core rules are deliberately generic. I fully expect that we will have a lot more detail in a future sourcebook or combat supplement.

So for my bughunters game I built my own rate of fire tables.

(click to show/hide)

Formatting this table is a mess for this post and I don't have time right now but you can see it in the spoiler section above.  The line formatted x/x/x  is the Snapshot, Burst Fire, Suppression Fire rate of fire entries.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
3 rounds per target per burst is simple and makes sense and is relatively simple, as is making suppression fire a 10 round burst.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
I see pyrotech found my previous answer - it still makes sense to me today.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme