Author Topic: What is the 'feel' of your campaign  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What is the 'feel' of your campaign
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
My campaign is more heroic fantasy as opposed to high fantasy. Magic is uncommon and feared be the general population.

Things are real and gritty and dark. There is a strong sense of good vs evil. Mystery and intrigue are key elements. Betrayal is a theme as well.

Thats my perspective as GM. Would be interesting to get feedback from my players here.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What is the 'feel' of your campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »
My campaign is more heroic fantasy as opposed to high fantasy. Magic is uncommon and feared be the general population.

Things are real and gritty and dark. There is a strong sense of good vs evil. Mystery and intrigue are key elements. Betrayal is a theme as well.

Thats my perspective as GM. Would be interesting to get feedback from my players here.

a player in my campaign wrote...
Dark, evil, life is cheap,  power brokers moving in a chess game ... we are but pawns ...

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »

more player feedback...
Dark, gloomy and realistic. Sanctuary really comes to life under your GM'ing.
I love the city, its people and the adventures we create together!

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
For the home brew setting I've been working with (that is on hold for now, but I still work on it now and then), generally it has a bit of real world mid to late Medieval to early Renaissance feel to it (loosely 'Early Modern') with some Fantasy tossed in and somewhat of a low-magic feel overall.  Magic isn't really all that uncommon, but it's not something you just throw around unless you want to (at best) draw serious attention to yourself or (at worst) get put on someones 'hit list' (i.e. a certain church - which could be the kingdoms government - marks you for execution or the like). With non-human races this tends to be less of an issue.  Gun-powder weapons are in an early stage of development.

Travel is largely land based; walking, horse, cart/wagon.  Sea travel is relatively common, but privateers and pirates are an issue.  There are airships, although quite rare and not without their dangers (they are in early development at best).

Different, distinct kingdoms and regions will have fairly distinct cultures that broadly resemble real world ones such as European, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc.  There's only a small number of truly large cities, which lean more towards a Renaissance feel the closer you get to them.  As you move away from these population centers things will start to feel more and more Medieval.  There are large areas of uninhabited land where, if you look for them, you may find Druids (tending the peaceful areas), Rangers (scouting the bad areas or guiding people through them), and Warders (who work the edge of dangerous areas that butt up against villages, towns, etc).

In addition you'll have intelligent races such as two variations of Dwarves (Foothills/Rural and Mountain), four variations of Elves (Noble, Forest, Sea, and Shadow (who are not evil, but not friendly)), Halflings, three variations Centaur (clan-like cultures), Half-Giants (somewhat Viking-like), Mermen, Minotaur (somewhat Greek culture), and Winged-Men (tribal culture).  Dangerous wildlife would consist of (in rough order of intelligence smartest to dumbest) Orcs, Knolls, Kobolds, Trolls, Ogres.  There are fantastic critters like Griffon and so on, with rarely seen Dragons at the top of the worlds food-chain (you, typically, need to be waaayyy off the beaten path to run into one).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »
For the home brew setting I've been working with (that is on hold for now, but I still work on it now and then), generally it has a bit of real world mid to late Medieval to early Renaissance feel to it (loosely 'Early Modern') with some Fantasy tossed in and somewhat of a low-magic feel overall.  Magic isn't really all that uncommon, but it's not something you just throw around unless you want to (at best) draw serious attention to yourself or (at worst) get put on someones 'hit list' (i.e. a certain church - which could be the kingdoms government - marks you for execution or the like). With non-human races this tends to be less of an issue.  Gun-powder weapons are in an early stage of development.

Travel is largely land based; walking, horse, cart/wagon.  Sea travel is relatively common, but privateers and pirates are an issue.  There are airships, although quite rare and not without their dangers (they are in early development at best).

Different, distinct kingdoms and regions will have fairly distinct cultures that broadly resemble real world ones such as European, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc.  There's only a small number of truly large cities, which lean more towards a Renaissance feel the closer you get to them.  As you move away from these population centers things will start to feel more and more Medieval.  There are large areas of uninhabited land where, if you look for them, you may find Druids (tending the peaceful areas), Rangers (scouting the bad areas or guiding people through them), and Warders (who work the edge of dangerous areas that butt up against villages, towns, etc).

In addition you'll have intelligent races such as two variations of Dwarves (Foothills/Rural and Mountain), four variations of Elves (Noble, Forest, Sea, and Shadow (who are not evil, but not friendly)), Halflings, three variations Centaur (clan-like cultures), Half-Giants (somewhat Viking-like), Mermen, Minotaur (somewhat Greek culture), and Winged-Men (tribal culture).  Dangerous wildlife would consist of (in rough order of intelligence smartest to dumbest) Orcs, Knolls, Kobolds, Trolls, Ogres.  There are fantastic critters like Griffon and so on, with rarely seen Dragons at the top of the worlds food-chain (you, typically, need to be waaayyy off the beaten path to run into one).

awesome setting. great work. love what uv done with the cultures and races, has an alien planet vibe going on that makes it really unique.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
This is a copy of the e-mail I just sent out this weekend for my players who will be starting up in the weekend campaign at the end of the month.  A couple of player have played RM2 before, 2 players who are brand new, and my daughter show's familiar with the gaming world.  I'm adding some Shadow World elements into the system we've been using since college so I decided to name the gaming planet "Kulthea" to give it more ties to Shadow World.  The only magic that is allowed in the game system is from Elemental Companion.  This was done for several reasons decades ago and it's what we've always stuck with.  Lately, I've decided to allow Alchemy Companion as well.

The World of Kulthea.

The planet:
The world is flat, mostly because no one has been able to prove otherwise.  There are monsters out there that are still being discovered but there is very little knowledge of those monsters because the discoverers are usually caught by surprise and eaten by those same monsters.   The physical world itself is mostly water but there are plentiful continental landmasses and even more islands and smaller landmasses.  The temperatures are colder at the poles, hotter along the equator, and all myriads of weather are abundant.

Society:
The peoples of Kulthea run the full gamut of tribal nomads to educated scholars, from collections of tents and cave dwellers to wonderful cities rising up two or three stories high.  In some greater cities, the buildings can have as many as five stories!  This is the Age of Enlightenment.  In the larger more cosmopolitan cities, races intermingle mostly without a second thought.  There are of course always those members of society who, by virtue of being less enlightened, still harbor silly prejudices.  Humans, Elves, and Dwarfs make up the majority of the races.  Trolls, Half Trolls, Half Orcs, Halflings, and even the very occasional Half Ogre are at the very least, tolerated in society.  Gnomes and Gnolls, Faeries and Pixies, and various other creatures are seen around frequently enough.  With enlightenment came the understanding and desire to learn more of the world rather than to kill that which was once unknown and therefore feared.

Magic:
Gone are the silly superstitions and tales of wonder.  Science (or what passes for science) is the new norm.  Universities, scholars, and knowledge seekers are coming to their own status levels.  What passed for magic is easily explained away by science.  The magic potion that cured the vomiting child was really an herbal tea that had a calming effect on the stomach nerves.  The paralysis curse from the old hag in the tent was simply the slime from a brightly colored frog that was smeared on the tankard of ale you drank.  The mind control from the voodoo shaman was nothing more than hypnosis.

Religion:
“There are as many religions as there are people on Kulthea.” – Author unknown
With the Age of Enlightenment came the thirst and desire for more knowledge.  This shift from the mystical and superstitious to the known and quantifiable led to the downfall to major organized religions.  What were once miracles were explained away by science.  Cults and sects are the best any god can hope for in the face of science and it is decreasingly less common to see major religious edifices.

Cutting edge:
The newest hot topic is the discovery of Elementalism, followed closely by Alchemy.  The advent of Elementalism happened some decades ago when “magic” was all the rage.  As science unraveled the mysteries of what really made magic, it uncovered the existence of “raw elements.”  These raw elements are what makes fire a fire.  There is fire that is created by the proper mixture of temperature, fuel, air, and chemical reaction, but there is also the raw element of fire that doesn’t need any of those physical components to exist.  Even here, as with religion, there are differing schools of thought.  The Classical Elemental Theorists gave birth to the Golden Age of Elementalism, which in turn gave birth to the Enlightenment Elemental Theorists but those ideologies are considered ancient by today’s standards.   There are two up-and-coming schools of thought that have very sound research and backing by a great number of followers, the Tri-Elementalist School and the Opposite Elemental School.  Many fervent debates have come up over the differences between the two schools, with some debates ending up in the local tanty, infirmary, or the morgue.

Undead happen:
It seems that only in this area do Religion and Science come to some sort of mutual agreement; undead happen.  Even if the underlying reason why is still hotly debated, both factions see undead as another form of life or the continued extension of Life.  The life force of the being that was killed was so strong it still inhabits the physical body.  In the case of pure spirits, the physical body finally eroded and the Spirit essense is still mobile.  The Elementalists have even thrown their hat into the ring on this topic and go as far as to suggest that Spirit is also an Element that can be manipulated.  The notion that the person or being was “evil” in life or somehow “cursed” to walk the living realm in undeath is considered absurd and is the stuff of nursemaids and mothers to scare their children towards a desired behavior.

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Mine have always been more gritty than high magical fantasy. Magic is there, but it's limited to a degree by the gods (based on the history of my setting) and isn't especially common. Many of the cultures also restrict the use of magic, and since players roll for character origin before anything else that has a direct impact on how many casters may be in a party as well as the professions available to those casters.
Darn that salt pork!