Author Topic: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?  (Read 58499 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
Exactly why I changed it...
The next similar one would be to ask - What year range were you born in? rather than How old are you?

But that one won't be posted for a few weeks....  ;D

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »

First started with Arms Law (and later Spell Law) grafted onto an AD&D in 1984 or so at college (a nod to the guys at Cooper Union!). Then to full Rolemaster in late 80s.

Ciao,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline MidKnight

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • That which you cannot see CAN hurt you.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Really we started with Middle Earth RP, then combined aspects of old Rolemaster and updated to RMSS / RMFRP.

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
I started with Middle Earth RP 1st edition in 1983 IIRC. I was attending at the lyceum and I was the only GM of a group of schoolmates. Soon I moved to Rolemaster to improve the game experience. I suppose it was one of the first editions. It was a dark green boxed set containing Vog Mur adventure and the three booklets: it had Character Law/Campaign Law in one booklet; it had Arms Law/Claw Law in a second booklet; third booklet was Spell Law with the realms in different color schemes (Channeling written in dark blue fonts on light blue pages, Essence written in blue fonts on white pages and Mentalism in dark red fonts on grey pages).
When they were published again I bought also Middle Earth RP and RM second editions and finally the whole RMSS (I'm missing only Talent Law and the Treasure Companion).
I still have several ME and Shadow World modules. I also proudly possess the complete collection of all of the Middle Earth TW CCG editions.

At the time I was at secondary school and, after it, at the university (before moving to RMSS; when I finally got all of the RMSS my RPG activity fell down) I was really active. I submitted a lot of material at ICE (and there was no internet at that time), but only two little contributions ever saw the light (being printed in the RMCIV - that was nicknamed "the international companion", containing contributions from all over the world!).

I keep dreaming of coming back to actual playing. And it seems that, after all, this is the right year to start again: I've discovered that the father of one of my 6 years old daughter's schoolmates used to play RM in his youth and we are resolving to give it a try again one of the next sundays. WOW!

Ciao!
Alessandro

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
I originally injected Arms/Claw Law into my AD&D1e game when they were first packaged together in a box.  Pre-Character Law.  So, whenever that was. 
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »
That's "Some time in the 80s"
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
That's "Some time in the 80s"

Knew that, and that's how I answered the poll.  Just didn't know the exact year.
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »
(Don't tell anyone, but I'm not exactly sure either)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
(Don't tell anyone, but I'm not exactly sure either)

Yeah, that. Red box. Tables on heavy card stock. Spell Law was 4 books, I'm pretty sure Character Law hadn't been published yet. I'm tempted to say RM had been out less than a year, and I'm fairly certain it was less than 2.

But beyond that? Sheesh, it's been nearly 30 years, I'm old, I can't remember what year it was. Early 80s, okay that much I can swear to.

;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
 I remember my year at least. My cousin took me to a local game tournament in 79. I played a mage and got my you know what handed to me. I had no idea what I was doing. They all looked very surprised when my mage was attacking after I cast my 2 or 3 spells. Again I had no idea what I was doing they simply said her you go and let the game begin.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Well, I grew up on DnD, it was my parents and uncles game of choice.  I'd sit up and listen through my bedroom door while they played.  It was High School before I really got a chance to play, and buy my own books, and the first books I bought were Middle Earth. 

That's funny, in a way, because I wouldn't read LoTR for another two decades, and didn't know that wizards in that setting couldn't do all of that stuff. 

Then I played almost every other game out there before finally coming back to RMFRP.  I've only gotten a few games together over the years, and now that I'm collecting RMSS books again (I have a habit of selling books that I don't get much use from), I'm hoping to get something together.

Now if only I didn't live in a gaming black hole...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
90s with Palladium; After the Bomb.  Then Star Wars D6.  Rolemaster & Battletech.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Well, I grew up on DnD, it was my parents and uncles game of choice.  I'd sit up and listen through my bedroom door while they played.  It was High School before I really got a chance to play, and buy my own books, and the first books I bought were Middle Earth. 

That's a fraking shame!  My older bro intro'd me to AD&D when I was 7.  Been playing for 33 years.  Graduated to MERP about 7 years after playing D&D and moved on to RM/RMSS/HARP there after.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
I started also with MERP in the first years of 90's.

80% of votes where in the two first options.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
80% of votes where in the two first options.

But that's also 17 years of its 30 year history as well. Not to mention that pretty much all of the business issues ICE has had have been in the other 13, no? So I can't say I find that too surprising.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »
Man, I can't believe I've been playing RPGs for like 30 years and MERP/RM for like 20.  I think the urge to run out and buy a sportscar might come on strong soon.  ;)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
Man, I can't believe I've been playing RPGs for like 30 years and MERP/RM for like 20.  I think the urge to run out and buy a sportscar might come on strong soon.  ;)

Man, I cant believe I've been playing ICE games for more than a decade, and Im practically a newbie compared to the average gamer in here!
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
Somebody write up a Cane attack table so we can discipline this whippersnapper!
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Draeck

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 06:28:38 PM »
Have not played for well over 10 years, but find that I want to get back into it. I was in Charlottesville for about a year and a half in the late 70's where I met people. Never played in Pete Fenlon's game, only in some of the games being run by others. Played  well into the 80's before real life required my priority. Played SM some as well.

Draeck

Offline socaljames

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
I was playing D&D in the 80's when I discovered the cool Iron Crown symbol. If memory serves it was wrapped in plastic and was yellow or white card stock I forget which. I loved what I read but didn't use the material immediately. Later I began adding stuff in and it all went from there. I only play Rolemaster and HARP now as all other systems leave me stale by comparison. I need the fear of instant death, hit points just don't cut it for me.

Every time I "indoctrinate" a new RM disciple they never go back to D&D or any other system....muhahahahaha my following (aka cult) grows...

Long live the crown!

James