Author Topic: O. I. C. Medallion  (Read 8029 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
O. I. C. Medallion
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »
Thought of doing this while at work today.  Forgot until I saw something about a medal on TV.  Threw this together and did a quick render in one hour.

Please remember that this is a work in progress.

Comments and Critiques are most welcome.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: O. I. C. Medallion
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »
And here is two more renders with different crown shapes.

Would you believe these were made with a DEM and a torus?  That is all it is.  I created a DEM and exported it in PNG-24 format for use in Bryce 7.  The torus is the primative making the upper ring.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:47:01 AM »
It just wouldn't cut it if it had a different crown other than the original logo crown IMO. Actually I found a site that does indeed make custom medals the other day...of course such expenses are frivolous.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
I did not use the original logo crown because I have not asked permission to do so.  Was going to this morning.  Thanks for reminder.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:05:27 AM »
And here is the reverse.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
I got permission to use the original Iron Crown logo crown.  Here is a quick render using the original Iron Crown logo.  I'll finalize it and post a thorough render later.

Legal Thing
Iron Crown Enterprises, I.C.E., ICE, Rolemaster, High Adventure Role Playing, HARP, Spacemaster, Cyberspace, Shadow World and Bladelands—and all products related thereto—are all trademark and copyright 2002-2011 © properties of Aurigas Aldebaron LLC, Charlottesville, Virginia 22902 USA.  All rights reserved.  Unless otherwise specified, the products listed on this website or bearing the ICE imprint are copyright © properties of Aurigas Aldebaron LLC and all characters and places therein, are trademark properties of Aurigas Aldebaron LLC.  All rights reserved.  Silent Death: The Next Millennium is a trademark of Mythic Entertainment LLC.  Iron Crown logo used with permission.

Many thanks to Thom for giving permission to use the original Iron Crown logo available here.  Many thanks to the unlisted artist who created this logo.

Enjoy!

rmfr

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Nice. If I were going to get a tattoo that might be it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
I managed to go through the Navy with no tattoos, so I doubt I'll get any now. No piercings either, somehow the whole idea of paying someone to stick me with sharp pieces of metal just doesn't work for me. Not unless he's a doctor, anyway.

However, if those ever get struck, I'll want one. Now all it needs is a ribbon, in iron grey and the shade of red they used on the original RM1 boxed set.

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
I managed to go through the Navy with no tattoos, so I doubt I'll get any now. No piercings either, somehow the whole idea of paying someone to stick me with sharp pieces of metal just doesn't work for me. Not unless he's a doctor, anyway.

Wow another non-tattooed squid.  I thought I was the only one.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
Hey, that thing is pretty cool!!! If this comes available, I'll definitely buy it! And it's more original than a t-shirt.

@arakish : really?!? A DEM? Which software?

@Ironmaul : could you PM me the adress of the website for custom medals? Thanks!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

Wow another non-tattooed squid.  I thought I was the only one.

Actually, make that three.  While she was still alive, by wife forbid me to get a tattoo.  However, when I got out of the Navy, she wanted me to get a pierced ear with a diamond stud.  Go figure.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
@arakish : really?!? A DEM? Which software?

ArcMap by ESRI.  We don't have Photoshop at work.  And I was playing around instead of working  :o.  Once I got the DEM into Bryce, I squashed it almost 2D flat.  Exported it out as a PGM, then finished it up with Photoshop.

rmfr

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
There are lots of places that do custom medals and tokens (which are really the same, just no hole). Some that I've bookmarked:

http://www.hoffmanmint.com/custom-tokens.php
http://www.osbornecoin.com/customcoin_goldine.htm
http://www.acecustomcoins.com/Default.aspx?Type= or http://www.acemedals.com/

I haven't ordered from any of these because I needed larger batches (5000+ for a LARP). Custom coins are always cheaper the more you get. The expensive part is generally having the die made, or dies if you want to customize both sides. $200 or more per side, possibly a set-up charge as well plus the tokens. Hoffman is minimum of 1000, Osbourne will do 250.

Ace (the last one linked) will do pewter casting in a rubber mold (as opposed to striking zinc/copper/brass). Probably the best option for small batches. I didn't get prices from them for that but they said there are no set-up fees or die charges. So for a small batch that will be much cheaper. It might still be more expensive for hundreds. Depends what your goals are. You can also do pewter casting yourself, it's not difficult.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
Thanks jdale, here are a few I found doing a search.

AT Designs
http://www.atdesigns.com/Medals/default.aspx

Crown Awards
http://www.crownawards.com/StoreFront/DOP.Custom_Medals.cat

Global Sources
http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers/Custom-Medal.html

Just Award Medals
http://www.justawardmedals.com/articles.asp?id=130

There are no doubt many others out there, but these are first ones listed in my search.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Here is another that a friend emailed me

http://custom.nwtmint.com/?gclid=CLvBqfWMy60CFasaQgod5AO7hQ

rmfr

Offline Ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:12 AM »
Take note of the left silver coin...found the image here.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
 Nice. IMHO after ICE gets some $ maybe they will hand them out at CON's or something.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
As said, here is the latest renders.  Since I only have Bryce 7 PLE and have yet to upgrade to the Pro version, these are perhaps the best renders I can make.

Enjoy! 

rmfr

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
Those are sweet!
I know this topic is really old but is this still a project?
I am running an ICE game at Gencon this year and it would be awesome if I could get one of these for the events.
Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
Actually, as said in the post, they are only 3D ray trace renders.

I never thought of commissioning a jeweler or metal smith to create "actual" medallions.  However, that thought is good one for someone to investigate.

Perhaps I may look into it.  It may take some time though.  There is a custom jewelry maker here in town.  I'll have to find them and check it out.

rmfr