Author Topic: Ley Lines on Cyradon  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Ley Lines on Cyradon
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
Hi all,

Anyone do any informal mapping/brainstorming of the Ley Lines on Cyradon? Likely one of the lines under Belynar also goes to Blackflame?

What sort of density do people use? (Harkening back to ROCO Is density rules for Earthnodes.)

Thoughts?
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Ley Lines on Cyradon
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
I remember from the Cyradon book that 6 or 12 ley lines cross themselves under Belynar. I don't remember anything about a specific ley line linking Belynar to Blackflame, but there is (are?) ley lines through Blackflame. I think there supposed to be a portal linking both places, but as I don't have the book with me, I can't confirm it.

Does that answer your question?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
I remember from the Cyradon book that 6 or 12 ley lines cross themselves under Belynar. I don't remember anything about a specific ley line linking Belynar to Blackflame, but there is (are?) ley lines through Blackflame. I think there supposed to be a portal linking both places, but as I don't have the book with me, I can't confirm it.

Does that answer your question?

Yes and no. I read the same content (I think the actual #s are from HB 10?).  I was curious as to whether anyone drew the lines on the map and whether they then used them in active game play. And what was the density of lines in your world? Miles apart or 100s of miles part. etc.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:54:54 PM »

It occurs to me to ask, since my campaign world had earthnodes but no ley lines, are the lines typically straight (like longitude or latitude) or do they curve and turn etc.? Earth tradition or your tradition, either answer is fine. :)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »
I used Google Earth for my homebrew campaign map, and started realizing that ley lines aren't straight on a flat map, they're great circle arcs. I had them traveling in "straight lines" between nodes.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
I used Google Earth for my homebrew campaign map, and started realizing that ley lines aren't straight on a flat map, they're great circle arcs. I had them traveling in "straight lines" between nodes.

Good point. I guess they could be "flat" on the surface (but actually hug a curve) unless your world (like Kobold's Midgard) is actually flat ...

Or they could be straight and only hit the surface as nexus points? (Being an arctangent was it? I forget geometry... )

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
For my campaign I developed an overlay of ley lines.
Belynar was the main intersection point of the ley lines on Cyradon.  There are 5 rings centered on Belynar, and 8 radii extending out from Belynar.

Starting in the Southeast...
The Gemair Radii which rests on the 5th ring and passes through Ramsel on the 1st ring.

The Tysteres Radii which is also on the 5th ring and the 4th ring and Tysteres Radii passes through Desnia and on the 2nd ring there is a small location in the Queens Woods. (See the small location on the map just above Janieal)

Windward Radii is again on the 5th ring (actually just a little beyond - but I attribute that to a cartographic error  ;) )   Palas is also on the edge of the radii but sits between 4th and 5th rings.  The text refers to a Cyrad highway location at the 2nd ring on this radii.

Ciranos Radii ends at the 4th ring, with Lindoranen just on the edge of the radii between 3rd and 4th rings.  Blackflame sits on the same radii at the 2nd ring.

Sarawan Radii ends at the 5th ring, with Mellianour just off the radii between 3rd and 4th.  The Melanae Forest has a node on the 1st ring which is unnamed, but can be seen on the map if you look carefully.

Zhur-Kreelak radii is on the 5th ring. Ciastan is also on the same radii between the 3rd and 4th. 

Selant Radii node sits at the 3rd ring with Jalapur on the 1st ring and Taravant is on the radii, but between Belynar and the 1st ring.

The Idrisil Radii ends at the 2nd ring at a site in the Idrisil forest, and unfortunately another cartographic error mislocated Eyrie of Orius which is actually on the 1st ring on this radii.

There is one more radii, and that runs directly West from Belynar to the Theocracy of Asut.

In my campaign these node sites are all highly magical locations and with the Ritual of Estrousal the magical is again flowing -  though few are aware of their local sites and even fewer are aware of all of them.  Many of them are secured with vault like doors sealing their use.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
For my campaign I developed an overlay of ley lines.
Belynar was the main intersection point of the ley lines on Cyradon.  There are 5 rings centered on Belynar, and 8 radii extending out from Belynar.

In my campaign these node sites are all highly magical locations and with the Ritual of Estrousal the magical is again flowing -  though few are aware of their local sites and even fewer are aware of all of them.  Many of them are secured with vault like doors sealing their use.

Thanks for the info!

Circular ley lines, interesting. If y'all decide to make all of that canon, be sure to let me know. :)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
I came up with that based upon measuring the distance from each of the major cities to Belynar, and the angle direction (using 0 degrees as due East).  I noted that many of the cities were equally distant from Belynar (putting them on the same ring) or very close to being on the same straight line out from Belynar.

As you mentioned Blackflame, that was one of my first checks but when I continued that same line I intersected Ciranos and Stormhold.  I also noted that Neras and the building depicted on the map (near The Idrisil) were the same distance from Belynar. 
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
Old Man,
 Also do not forget to think in 3-D, not just the 2-D of the map.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
Old Man,
MDC

Well that's just going to give me a headache :)

So what's the radius of Cyradon's homeworld? Density of ley lines? ... Lines extending into the air/space would be interesting ...
Actually I could see the linear density being more important - what is the max depth anyone tends to go into a world? 5-10 miles? vs 100s of miles horizontally.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Old Man,
MDC

Well that's just going to give me a headache :)

So what's the radius of Cyradon's homeworld? Density of ley lines? ... Lines extending into the air/space would be interesting ...
Actually I could see the linear density being more important - what is the max depth anyone tends to go into a world? 5-10 miles? vs 100s of miles horizontally.

I have not picked up the product in a while but as you said "Can it go to the moon(s)?"

;D With magic you never know how deep you can go. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.