Author Topic: Brainstorming Corner  (Read 8200 times)

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Brainstorming Corner
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I remember some of the early Traveler books had stats for well-known movie characters, just leaving off their names and other trademarks. You could do the same describing an unspecified scene in a well-known movie. Then leave it to the reader to recognize that a detailed encounter with a whole bunch of dwarves, one halfling, and a human wizard just might resemble a movie they have seen. It becomes a puzzle of sorts....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
If you're close to a gaming store, how about asking about being able to run sessions of HARP, RM, etcetera instore?
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
If you're close to a gaming store, how about asking about being able to run sessions of HARP, RM, etcetera instore?

This is sad but true.  We have only one such store here in ABQ that ONLY allows DnD to be played.  The owners are not into introducing new systems.  Also, I found out that the store receives reduced pricing for selling DnD stuff.  Another example of the giant corporate monster killing off the small ones...

Most often, it is through talking with students here at the university that they might become interested in trying out the RM system when I use things already posted here:

• it models real life better than any other RPG
  • it offers critical injuries which I have not seen any other RPG
  • with the critical injuries, you have a chance at the instant kill blow
  • although you may end up doing such, you do not have to pummel each other to death when in combat
  • it is perhaps the most easily customizable RPG on the market
  • it is actually written with the primary purpose of being customizable, which, AFAIK, no other RPG is done that way
  • it has the MOST logical magic/spell structure I have ever seen
  • yes, it may seem complex, but instead it is actually complete
  • it main purpose is "simple reinforcement of complex ideas"
And that is only the list I can think of off the top of my head.

There are a manifold ways of spreading the word of the RM system, one only need to use them.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.