Author Topic: Query: a Shadow World Checklist  (Read 60020 times)

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Query: a Shadow World Checklist
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »
I would suggest the 3rd edition Master Atlas over the 4th edition Master Atlas. It is more complete. I would go with Powers of Light & Darkness followed by Jaiman Land of Twilight then the Xa-ar book & Haalkitaine. But I prefer Jaiman over Emer.

Honestly though you can't go wrong with the titles written by Terry Amthor.

The Emer route would be Master Atlas 4th edition, the Powers of Light & Darkness, the Emer Boxed set & any of the following Emer I, Emer II, Emer III, or Eidolon.

There are more adventures/dungeons in the Jaiman books other than that the difference is more personal preferance.

here are more recommendations by me & others:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15750.0

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
I always use my 3rd ed atlas as a reference, but the 4th does have some additional material in NW Emer (which is now folded into the new edition of Emer I). I was not a fan of the Atlas 4th layout design though. :-\

Some of the titles Kyussopeth mentions are not currently available except through Amazon or Ebay, or similar used book vendors. Emer Boxed Set is rather dated but it does have the funky Atlas Addendum.

I actually have a couple of extra Jaimans I think, though not sure if they have the maps still intact...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 07:19:40 AM »
The 4th edition certainly used up a lot of ink when I printed it out.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
The 4th edition certainly used up a lot of ink when I printed it out.

Yeah they tried to copy the D&D style of the time with the huge borders on the outside. I never saw the point of repeating the same elaborate thing over and over. Sure the current SW style is kind of plain, but that was (IMHO) too much, and took up space.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
Yeah they tried to copy the D&D style of the time with the huge borders on the outside. I never saw the point of repeating the same elaborate thing over and over. Sure the current SW style is kind of plain, but that was (IMHO) too much, and took up space.

The current Shadow World books are, however, some of the nicest supplements I have bought recently from an art point of view. Most of the others only have colour covers at most, with black and white art for the rest of the book.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 07:40:35 AM »

Thanks! I think they have nice illos, and I try to really make good use of the full-color for the layouts. PoD has really changed the print book landscape, and with printers in Europe and the US, shipping his (hopefully) not too much of a burden.

The current Shadow World books are, however, some of the nicest supplements I have bought recently from an art point of view. Most of the others only have colour covers at most, with black and white art for the rest of the book.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline JJJ

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »
Hi again.
Last week I could visit my local store, you know, in Spain (I prefer, if possible, to buy in local stores; it's a way to help maintaining this kind of stores). I have found so far four ShW books in the Spanish versions:

1) Libro de Reglas (2004) = Master Atlas 4th ed. Printed!

2) Atlas de Emer I. Haestra y la historia del imperio emeriano (2005) = Emer I, I guess.

3) Poderes de la luz y tinieblas (?, this one I have not at hand now, I have left it in the bureau) = Powers of Light and Darkness.

4) There is another book which I have get, but the copy has no cover and I am not able to identify the original source. It was published, with no doubrt, before 1998. Let me translate (my own translation) the main chapters, so you maybe can say which English book come from:
I. Kulthea. II. Arcane power. III. Vegetal world. IV. Creatures. V. ??? (Kaeden, Sentinels, Gogor, Shards, etc.). VI. Demons of Arcane Power. VII. Demons of the Void. VIII. Mortal races. IX. Immortal races. X. Gods. XI. The good and the evil, the order and chaos. XII. About the civilization. XIII. Great Powers. XIV. Jaiman. XV. Emer. XVI. Folenn. XVII. Travelling Kulthea. XIX. Other Worlds. XX. Apendices.
[BTW, the prologue starts with a cite of Andraax, from the Nomikos Library in Jaiman]
Is it maybe the Master Atlas I or II? Any Spanish fan who knows of others printed books in Spanish?

I have not already started reading the books, I plan to start the next week; and of course I am ordering the English books you recommended some days ago.
Best,

Josué

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »
I. Kulthea. II. Arcane power. III. Vegetal world. IV. Creatures. V. ??? (Kaeden, Sentinels, Gogor, Shards, etc.). VI. Demons of Arcane Power. VII. Demons of the Void. VIII. Mortal races. IX. Immortal races. X. Gods. XI. The good and the evil, the order and chaos. XII. About the civilization. XIII. Great Powers. XIV. Jaiman. XV. Emer. XVI. Folenn. XVII. Travelling Kulthea. XIX. Other Worlds. XX. Apendices.

I have that one!
The cover reads: El Mundo de las Sombras - Atlas General (un mundo de fantasía medieval para Rolemaster)
I am quite sure this is a translation of the Master Atlas 2nd Edition.

Offline JJJ

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2015, 04:12:42 AM »

I have that one!
The cover reads: El Mundo de las Sombras - Atlas General (un mundo de fantasía medieval para Rolemaster)
I am quite sure this is a translation of the Master Atlas 2nd Edition.

Thank you! Could you please indicate the ISBN and year of publication?
Thank you again.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2015, 06:27:50 AM »
ISBN 84-7831-156-4
Printed in March, 1996
Made by JOC Internacional
Based on the second edition from 1992

Something else I remembered: a friend had the original English version, and it had more information than the Spanish one. Most of the creature descriptions in the Spanish version just tell you to go look at C&T for the details, and only present the tables with numeric values. The English version contained all the details for every creature.

Offline JJJ

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »
ISBN 84-7831-156-4
Printed in March, 1996
Made by JOC Internacional
Based on the second edition from 1992

Something else I remembered: a friend had the original English version, and it had more information than the Spanish one. Most of the creature descriptions in the Spanish version just tell you to go look at C&T for the details, and only present the tables with numeric values. The English version contained all the details for every creature.

Thank you again, Voriig.
To be continued...

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
I also just picked up the 2nd edition MA. It does have more info on the continent of Folenn. Though this is not important for the Jaiman and Emer adventurers, it adds some more flesh to the world as a whole. Don't know why the info got dropped with 3rd and 4th.
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »
I also just picked up the 2nd edition MA. It does have more info on the continent of Folenn. Though this is not important for the Jaiman and Emer adventurers, it adds some more flesh to the world as a whole. Don't know why the info got dropped with 3rd and 4th.

Maybe it was moved to Bladestorm? SWMA2 is one of the few books I lack.

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
Mr. Amthor can please correct me if I am mistaken, but if memory serves, in between the publishings of Master Atlas Second Edition and Master Atlas Third Edition, it was decided that Folenn would be further fleshed out by S. Coleman Charlton, the designer of Bladestorm. Bladestorm was a skirmish-style miniatures game set in Folenn, the Bladelands. Unfortunately for Folenn fans, it would never come to pass and Folenn is only mentioned in passing for Atlas 3 and 4.

Now, one would think that since the plans for Bladestorm have fallen through, that Folenn could make a triumphant return to Mr. Amthor's realm of canon (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink).

On a side note, Bladestorm does contain a sourcebook which details a region of Folenn. If you can find a copy, it is worth it.

Thanks,
--Desty

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
You can still get Bladestorm on Metal Express. It may turn up on RPGNow at some point (I'm not sure).

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 04:01:41 AM »
Mr. Amthor can please correct me if I am mistaken, but if memory serves, in between the publishings of Master Atlas Second Edition and Master Atlas Third Edition, it was decided that Folenn would be further fleshed out by S. Coleman Charlton, the designer of Bladestorm. Bladestorm was a skirmish-style miniatures game set in Folenn, the Bladelands. Unfortunately for Folenn fans, it would never come to pass and Folenn is only mentioned in passing for Atlas 3 and 4.

Now, one would think that since the plans for Bladestorm have fallen through, that Folenn could make a triumphant return to Mr. Amthor's realm of canon (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink).

On a side note, Bladestorm does contain a sourcebook which details a region of Folenn. If you can find a copy, it is worth it.

Thanks,
--Desty

You could be correct (though the idea of Coleman doing cultural background material seems a bit odd) I do remember that Atlas2 concentrated on just Jaiman, Emer and Folenn, mainly because that was all we had done any background on so far. Atlas3 came much later, and by then I had some idea about what I wanted for the rest of the hemisphere, and there had been modules located in other locations as well.

Folenn has always been Pete's continent, and with so much else to work with, I'd be reluctant to add anything to what is already published anytime soon. Oddly enough though, there are ties to Folenn in the Xa-ar module!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
Maybe I can help with a little comparison between the works.

Shadow World Master Atlas 2nd Edition:
Pages 170-171 Part XVI: FOLENN: LAND OF HUES
The two pages cover the discovery of a jewel road to Folenn by Kalen, Jad and a Navigator. I found this pretty cool because I am currently reading "Loremaster Legacy" and didn't expect such a scene to materialize in the introduction to Folenn.

Pages 172-175: 1. History (Bladestorms, The Pyto Travail, The Gale of Hues), 2. Lands (Hidden Colonies, Immigrant Domains, Lost Immigrants, Old Beasts), 3. Other Powers (Steel Rain, The Soulslayers, The Duskwalkers, Guardians of the Gale, The Breathless, The Jewel Knights)

Bladestorm Sourcebook:
Pages 3-4 Part 1: Folenn (Six extra lines of introduction. The following text is identical [Chroniclers call ...]: The History of Folenn, Bladestorms, The Pyto Travail, Bladestorms Info Box [Maybe a typo, text is identical to MA2 "Gale of Hues"-chapter], Folenn Now)

In general MA2 Pages 173-175 "Other Powers" match BSSRC Pages 7-8 "Greater Powers".

Then come the differences:
1. Page 5 BSSRC Principal Factions introduces the "Denizens of the Ash Lairs"; not covered by MA2.
2. Page 173 MA2 The Steel Rain introduces "A Watching Sister: Moura"; not covered by BSSRC.
3. Page 174 MA2 The Soulslayers introduces a serving race "Vancu"; not covered by BSSRC.
4. Page 6 BSSRC Info Box "Getting to Folenn" matches parts and pieces from MA2 Part XVII: TRAVEL ACROSS KULTHEA, Pages 176-180.

Similarities stop there. The Bladestorm Sourcebook then starts to explain races and factions of the Warring Holds that make up the principal combatants for the Bladestorm skirmish game. Material shared by both books is roughly 4-5 pages.

Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
  And I was overjoyed to find all the Bladestorm stuff available in PDF format from RPGnow. including the Unit calculators.  It makes fleshing out the Realmworks copy of Shadow World (wow I work slow) so much easier. 
  YAY no more Transcribing paragraphs from the print copy(s) I have!

Let the [ctrl]+c>[ctrl]+v fest begin!

Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons

...and then I have to create all the ERA RMSS/FRP stats for all of the combatants...
...and work up rules for Bladestorms...
...and continue to Pray for Arcane Companion to be adapted to ERA...
...and pray for RMU files for ERA...
...and pray for Fire and Ice files for ERA...
...mebee I should stop rambling now, I seem to be going off topic.
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
Oh, that sounds nice. I am intrigued by your project. Are you using the Combatant/Unit Calculator together with Realm Works?

Tooling has not yet been decided for campaigns. If Realmworks is capable of organizing combatants/units/heroes/vehicles with png/pdf-based cards and point costs that would be a real treat.
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
I hate to say it, Mr. Amthor, but there really needs to be a Master Atlas 5th (Ultimate?) Edition that compiles all the info from the previous editions and possibly some new stuff.  I know that probably won't happen until RMU is finalized, but it needs to happen. Please put it on the list.

Thanks,
--Desty