Author Topic: Call me old fashioned...  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Call me old fashioned...
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
I think RMU should be made as compatible as possible with earler editions. That way, you don't alienate the player base and you have a huge body of MERP and Shadow World (and Spacemaster) modules and adventures to play RMU with. Those who don't plan to use all of RMU might still buy it, then, to use parts of it, like the new spell lists (which have spells at every level) or the piecemeal armor rules.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
I'll wait until RMU is out before I judge it, but I don't see switching from RM2 or more likely RMC since I am missing RM2 books & frankly the ones on the used market are in various degrees of wear.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2017, 12:55:51 PM »
I think RMU should be made as compatible as possible with earler editions.
As an existing player using RMSS I would also like to see this. But, as far as I have taken a look into the RMU rules and observed some discussions in these forums, compatibility with the previous editions was not one of the primary goals. So I think a couple of adjustments need to be made when wanting to use old adventures. But perhaps some guides on how to migrate existing RMC/RM2/RMSS adventures can be added to the RMU books.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
I think RMU should be made as compatible as possible with earler editions.
As an existing player using RMSS I would also like to see this. But, as far as I have taken a look into the RMU rules and observed some discussions in these forums, compatibility with the previous editions was not one of the primary goals. So I think a couple of adjustments need to be made when wanting to use old adventures. But perhaps some guides on how to migrate existing RMC/RM2/RMSS adventures can be added to the RMU books.

We've been playing an old ICE Middle Earth module (Cardolan I think) and so far it is pretty compatible. The armor types are probably the one thing that needs to be converted most often, but the conversion is quite easy. Other than that, we haven't had any major issues. The one thing that might be a problem as we get to the mid to high levels is the passive defenses, because right now we are seeing a lot of DB inflation.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle