Author Topic: Cannot close the help Box in Character Creation.  (Read 2132 times)

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cannot close the help Box in Character Creation.
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
Hi, All,

Don't know if anyone else has had the same issue - but I can't use the Character Creation module in ERA because the 'Hide' button doesn't/won't hide the help box.
Using Firefox 40.0.2 in Windows 10, but also tried it in Edge as well and the same thing happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Cannot close the help Box in Character Creation.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »
Just in case, I tried the last version on a Windows 10 using Edge, and it seems to be working OK.
There should be no reason for this button no to work if the others (choose module, previous/next step) are functioning as intended.

It may be that something in your screen resolution is making it difficult for the browser to interpret the click on the button.

In any case, try this:
1) Click anywhere in the text of the help box
2) Press TAB (The hide button should light up)
3) Press Spacebar

This should be the equivalent of clicking on the "Hide" button.

Let me know if that works.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »
Hi, Voriig,

Already tried Space and Return and Enter.... :(

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »
Weird.

Works fine on my Windows 10 Linx tablet (32 bit?) So, could be a resolution issue or could be 64 bit vs 32 bit.

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
32 or 64 bits shouldn't make any difference.
But it can be a resolution issue.

What is the resolution on the PC where it is NOT working?

Also, I wasn't able to see the screenshot before.
Although you can't hide the box, you should be able to see the next step button on the lower right.
Your hint box is not covering up that much of the screen.

When you click on the text of the box, then the TAB key on your keyboard, does the "Hide" button light up?

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Hi, Voriig,

Resolution on the desktop is 1920x1080, whilst the tablet is a paltry 1280x800.

Yes, when pressing Tab I could select the 'Hide' button - either clicking the box or simply cycling through the screen. Neither way allowed Space/Enter/Return to close the requester.

And, the poor 'Next' button's nowhere in sight.

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
Could you upload a screenshot of the whole screen?

Also, let me know if anything changes if you zoom in/out with your browser. Suppose you zoom out several times, does anything change? Does the next step button appear?

What about the other modules? The base application comes with 2 characters ready. Can you load their character sheets? Level them up? Use them in an adventure?
If we figure out what works and what doesn't, we might encounter the reason for the strange behavior.

Thanks for taking the time to help with the troubleshooting.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »
Hi, Voriig,

Well, tried changing the screen resolution to 1280x800 and that still didn't help.
Capture2 shows the full extent of the Firefox screen - and there's no other buttons visible - with the exception of the close one.
Capture3 shows the screen after several Ctrl/+ presses to zoom the screen. The Box stays relative to the top right corner but enlarges. However, there appears to be a box behind it - indicated. But, it doesn't make the mouse pointer change shape when hovered over.

Interestingly, I can't seem to load characters or add them in the Adventuring module....

I'm guessing that something is missing on the Desktop? But, strangely, ERA worked when I was using Windows 8.1 and I did an in place upgrade to Windows 10. It's so-far the only piece of software that I've had an issue with since upgrading to Windows 10.

So far I've tried it in Firefox, Edge and now Google Chrome - so I'm fast running out of browsers. :-[

And the behaviour is the same in all of them - can't load characters, can't use the Character Generation and can't load them into the Adventure module.

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
Ok, now that I have seen the full screen, I can confirm that it is not a resolution issue.

The problem is most likely Javascript. If I turn off Javascript in my browser, the application behaves exactly as you describe.

The thing is... Javascript is normally enabled/disabled per browser. But you have tried 3 different browsers... could you check all of them, and confirm if Javascript is enabled?

In Chrome: Settings --> Show advanced settings --> Privacy --> Content settings --> Javascript
In Firefox: See here

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
Hi, Voriig,

I've checked Chrome already and now just checked Firefox and can confirm that Yes, Javascript is enabled. I can't seem to find Javascript settings in Edge, however.

All the best,

Kevin.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
Oh, I was counting on that fixing the issue.
When I tried blocking Javascript from a Win10 machine, the behavior was exactly what you are experiencing.

I have not been able to find any reference online to a situation such as this.
There might be an application (ad-blocker?, antivirus?) or Windows setting that is blocking the Javascript content.

Since I can't reproduce it, the only way I can think of understanding the issue is to keep giving suggestions here.

This site:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_examples.asp
has a lot of javascript examples.
Clicking on an example such as:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_intro_inner_html
will open a page with a "Click Me!" button on the right section, which triggers a Javascript action. This only works if your browser has Javascript enabled.

Also, this site:
http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/examples-of-javascript-1233964
has a list of pages which rely heavily on Javascript to work as intended.

My suggestion, if you are up for it, is for you to try the example sites and their features on your Win10 PC, and then on your tablet, and let me know if the behave differently.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »
Hi, Voriig,

Already looked at Adblock Plus - but, it's on both Machines...

settings-wise, both the tablet and desktop are both using the same settings. Although there are a couple of startup programs different - due to lower RAM on the tablet and Windows 10 not allowing me to configure OneDrive to use the SD Card on the tablet.

I'll try the javascript examples and compare startups - might be something like Fences stopping it.

All the best,

Kevin.