Author Topic: Director's Briefing - March 2016  (Read 2679 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - March 2016
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:06:25 AM »
Welcome

To the fifty-eighth Briefing and the third scheduled Briefing of 2016.

It's been an exceptionally and unexpectedly busy time in the real world for me, so if I have been quieter than you expect or if you are freelancing for GCP and you've not been nagged on project progress, then that is your explanation. The nagging of "Are we there yet?" has already begun.

On a happier note, terrestrial television in the UK (as opposed to satellite or cable tv) appears to have had a resurgence in sf, fantasy and superhero series. The X Files has reappeared with a new short season, Marvel's Agents of Shield has been joined by Heroes Reborn, and as I write The Chronicles of Shannara is just debuting. Granted, the only series that I am managing to keep up with (the rest my machine minion is tasked with recording) is Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands, which despite the name has limited connections to the grand Anglo-Saxon epic that I read at school (the names Beowulf and Heorot). It is rather more a tale of politics, of battles, of monsters, of treacheries, of secrets, set in perhaps a colonised land where the tribes are struggling to survive. The unremitting nature of the trials faced by the various protagonists reminds me of great role-playing campaigns where PCs are challenged by adversity and perils at every turn.

Shadow World

It has been third-time lucky with regard to the softcover for Eidolon. It made it through the process without a hiccup. I am happy with the UK proof copy; Terry is happy with the US proof copy. To celebrate, we are offering both the softcover and the hardcover at a discount for two weeks from the start of March.

Brian Hanson has delivered a copy of the next draft of "Priest-King of Shade" to myself and Terry for our editing perusal, and most importantly it has made it onto my tablet for my commuting enjoyment.

On the Shadow World board of the ICE forums, a group of fans are collaborating to design and develop an adventure module set in the Xa-ar region. I strongly suggest that you have a read of this thread (http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=16928.0) - if you are interested in pitching in to help, make yourself known very quickly.

Software

Max has completed a new dataset package for ERA, namely covering the Armory. There is a RMSS/FRP version, naturally, but he has also created a RMC version so extra attack tables etc for everyone. Expect to see this appear as soon as we can create the faux cover image. Max has also upgraded the two ERA Shadow World files to include the material found in Rolemaster Fantasy Weapons.

RMU

Work is quietly happening and I am nagging to see which bits can now be declared done.

Adventures

Colin came up with several adventure ideas that could be placed in any fantasy setting and posted them on the ICE blog. In addition, we posited the thought that perhaps one or more of these could be turned into publishable adventures or an entire adventure module. For publication, we would need these to be dual-statted for Rolemaster and HARP. Which version of Rolemaster? That depends on how quickly they were written. A rapid turnaround and I would suggest RMClassic and RMFRP. Slower progress would indicate RMU.

HARP and HARP SF

The Poseidon Gambit has made it onto my tablet for editing perusal.

Terry has been nagged on the Folkways art list.

I have not had those free evenings in February, so I am going to cheat and take one of my small notepads with me on the train and work out the stats the old-fashioned way for those Elementals. The spreadsheet apps on my tablet are not up to coping with the Duffield-Jones monster creation spreadsheets; at some indeterminate future point, my university will be rolling out free subscriptions of Office365 to staff which has a mobile version that looks like it could be invaluable for mechanics editing on the train. (My students can already get their free subscriptions.) Speaking of John Duffield, he has sent in his upgrades of the Fungus Men, Giant Furred Snake, Giant Millipede, Magma-men, Rockworm and Sandwyrm, and at a first perusal, these look very good.

I am currently finalising a first wishlist of three HARP sourcebooks that I would like to see written - just trying to settle on the third entry on this list. When we release the wishlist, if you are interested in tackling one of these sourcebooks, then you need to produce a proposal for us. The proposal must include a detailed outline, that is a table of contents that indicates your intended chapters and the sections within each chapter, and a sample section to demonstrate your writing skill. Anyone who has already written a full product for HARP (even if we have not yet published it) does not need to send a sample section.

Until next time

Back to my green A5 notepad and some wishlist wrangling. The next scheduled Briefing will be in April

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Guild Companion Publications Ltd
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Re: Director's Briefing - March 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
RMU
Work is quietly happening and I am nagging to see which bits can now be declared done.

Adventures
In addition, we posited the thought that perhaps one or more of these could be turned into publishable adventures or an entire adventure module. ... Slower progress would indicate RMU.

My money awaits.

first!  ;)
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »

On a happier note, terrestrial television in the UK (as opposed to satellite or cable tv) appears to have had a resurgence in sf, fantasy and superhero series.

If you're looking for SciFi, I recommend the new series The Expanse on the US SyFy network (Space in Canada). It is based on books I haven't read and I'm only four episodes in, but it has been great so far. I wouldn't say it is really hard SciFi, but it is certainly harder than Star Trek or most other SciFi series on TV.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
I am currently finalising a first wishlist of three HARP sourcebooks that I would like to see written - just trying to settle on the third entry on this list. When we release the wishlist, if you are interested in tackling one of these sourcebooks, then you need to produce a proposal for us. The proposal must include a detailed outline, that is a table of contents that indicates your intended chapters and the sections within each chapter, and a sample section to demonstrate your writing skill. Anyone who has already written a full product for HARP (even if we have not yet published it) does not need to send a sample section.

Heleen and I are interested in seeing what is on your wishlist.

Regards,
Andrew
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:14:28 PM »
Just a query here: I am interested in taking up the challenge of writing an adventure, but I am curious as to what is advisable in crafting one. If, for example, one was to use the RMFRP system, is it viable to include options from the various Companions?

I can imagine that many, but not all, purchasers of an adventure would have access to those resources, but those who did not might be put off. On the other hand, including material from the Companions - which have, after all, been available for a long time now - would showcase them.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:56:51 AM »
Just a query here: I am interested in taking up the challenge of writing an adventure, but I am curious as to what is advisable in crafting one. If, for example, one was to use the RMFRP system, is it viable to include options from the various Companions?

I can imagine that many, but not all, purchasers of an adventure would have access to those resources, but those who did not might be put off. On the other hand, including material from the Companions - which have, after all, been available for a long time now - would showcase them.

If a Companion is currently sold by us, then professions etc from that Companion are valid. If it is not currently sold by us, then material from that Companion should not be used.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme