Author Topic: Something Wicked: spell wishlist  (Read 8045 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Something Wicked: spell wishlist
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:36:13 AM »
"Something Wicked" is the obvious fit for additional spells. Are there spells which you would like to see reincarnated in the new Wicked?

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Something Wicked: spell wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
All of these are from the Codes: Poison Lore, Carnivorous Plant, Grappling Mist, Mist Phantom, Thorn Wall, Web, Spider Climb, Venom Blade
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
What Sunwolf said plus maybe a few off the old Evil Channeling lists, the Sorcerer and Evil Essence lists, and maybe even the Evil Mentalism Lists from RMSS (or other iterations of RM).
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
I would like to see all the Mentalist/Mystic and Nightblade/Shadowblade spells from the Codex in addition:

- Aura, Create Drink/Food, Elemental Cone, Repel Pests

Of course I like most of the other spells from the Codex (and Grimoire), too, but I doubt they are really neccessary to play a nice game of HARP, so I would be happy with the above ones.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »
Scattershot, Landmine. Magical shotguns and pressure mines.
#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 04:47:13 AM »
These are all helpful suggestions. Please keep them coming. Also if you have issues with any of the spells in their current form, please add that. I know a number of the Codex spells were overpowered.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
I remember it being mentioned that spells were rebalanced in College of Magics.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »
One of the few issues I have had with the spell system is that often to use the more powerful options of a spell you have to increase the ranks considerably more than just the additional ranks needed to power that option.  Currently the spell system requires all spells to be designed for the most part with a minimum cost and then add options to power them up, but of course powering them up reduces your chance of casting them.  I would like to see some sort of option that would let you create a higher powered version of a spell so it might actually be able to be cast successfully.  Whether that is done through some talents to allow that spell to be cast at a higher base power without penalty or a system that allows you to create a more powerful version of a spell with certain options already included so it has a higher base cost to begin with.  Perhaps if you have double the ranks needed to cast a spell with certain options you can spend time creating a higher powered version that already includes those options in the base cost and when the spell creation is done you get ranks = 1/4 the ranks in the original spell (at the time creation was started) as part of the creation process.
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Glenn_Gould

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
One of the few issues I have had with the spell system is that often to use the more powerful options of a spell you have to increase the ranks considerably more than just the additional ranks needed to power that option.

The core book and CoM offer some talents to cope with that, but they are relatively expensive limiting their use to relatively few spells in most cases

Especially "Enhancement" (-5 Casting penalty for every two PP spent for scaling for a given spell) might help.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
This is not quite a spell request, but any possibility of getting a witch profession and associated spells?
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
One of the few issues I have had with the spell system is that often to use the more powerful options of a spell you have to increase the ranks considerably more than just the additional ranks needed to power that option.  Currently the spell system requires all spells to be designed for the most part with a minimum cost and then add options to power them up, but of course powering them up reduces your chance of casting them.  I would like to see some sort of option that would let you create a higher powered version of a spell so it might actually be able to be cast successfully.  Whether that is done through some talents to allow that spell to be cast at a higher base power without penalty or a system that allows you to create a more powerful version of a spell with certain options already included so it has a higher base cost to begin with.  Perhaps if you have double the ranks needed to cast a spell with certain options you can spend time creating a higher powered version that already includes those options in the base cost and when the spell creation is done you get ranks = 1/4 the ranks in the original spell (at the time creation was started) as part of the creation process.
I have a house rule that uses a -2 per PP for scaling above the base cost of the spell instead of the normal -5 per PP. It works very well and so far I haven't noticed any advantage that gives the mages or any imbalance issues.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »
This is not quite a spell request, but any possibility of getting a witch profession and associated spells?

There is a Witch/Warlock profession already in the manuscript.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Vorn Dalael

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
Some new macabre,warlock, maleficant spells will be nice. Foul changes 1 and foul changes 2 are great.
And my favorite: FATAL INVERSION

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »

There is a Witch/Warlock profession already in the manuscript.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Cool, thanks!
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Gauds00

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Something Wicked: spell wishlis
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
There are some awesome source material from the Companion's, a stand out for me is companion 3...Chaotic Lord what an amazing profession, possessing your physical body with chaos demons to become stronger, tougher,
 faster, with a high chance of death, now that's really cool.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
I second that. Chaotic Lord, excellent idea. I have, however, never seen it as a player character but he makes a really interesting NPC to fight against.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
I don't know whether Something wicked is the right book for that but Wyrd Mastery from the Channeling Companion has some really wicked spells in the sense of being powerful. Might be something for the witch

I would also like to see a witch that does not have to be stationary, i.e. being a different type of alchemist creating potion and charms, but one that can be on the move quite easily, using a broomstick, cauldron or house or whatever to travel.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 04:48:41 AM »
I think a Frankenstein-ilke profession could be an idea. In RMCVII it was called "Creator", I think. Stitching together flesh golems or weird undead from different body parts might be an idea. I also like the idea of grafts (if that is the correct term) from Dark Space, monster, demonic or even undead part "grafted" (am I using this correctly) into the targets/victims body giving him powers but also making him ... well weird, strange, dangerous, maybe a powerful ally but also a ticking time bomb that then becomes a horrible enemy. I like the idea of having things that have a benefit but also a risk of going horribly wrong, especially if this is something you could then use in your campaign to create interesting situation and twists.
I also always like the Chaotic Lord sort of, good idea.
And then there are these physical alteration options and crits from the old Warlock (I think) those were pretty cool for NPCs ... never saw a PC of that profession.
Talking about wyrd, there should definitely be some sort of profession that is self-taught, a bit like the old Chaotic from RMSS Arcane Companion maybe, but with lots of spell flexibility, maybe not a set sphere but the ability to see, study and then learn spells he has encountered. With more difficult spell casting manoeuvres or some other drawback,
That profession wouldn't be necessarily evil but he would definitely be more Wyld or Wyrd than other ... and therefore might be considered evil in the sense of chaotic and dangerous to the system by spell-users of more organiserd traditions. To be honest, I have no idea how to put such an ability into gaming rules or mechanics ... but then I am not an author of rulebooks.  ;D
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline ralatorr

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
honestly i would love seeing a way to maybe use the sleep spell in conjuction with new spells for like dreamwalking or inflicting nightmares. also maybe the spell or ability to inflict insanity would be cool.

another thing that would be cool would be if you created a spell that allows for a temporary poison enchantment on a weapon. i understand that creating items is hard, very hard, and time consuming. so the ability to imbue a poison into a blade without having to craft it that way or use a poisoning skill to inject the poison that way would be pretty epic.

demon summoning would be an interesting idea too. summoning demonic legions to do your bidding or lay waste to the land is kinda evil imo so it would be fitting to the theme.

some expansions into the necromancer and maybe cleric spheres are going to be needed.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
I'm popping in with something that may have already been discussed elsewhere. The previous printing of HARP had a book called The Codex, which introduced the spells Energy Blade and Shadow Blade. Upon further thinking, I wondered why these need to be separate spells when they could reasonably be scaling options for Elemental Weapon. As both spells to become scaling options use the same focus construct, I feel this just just be a new scaling option for Elemental Weapon, which can have all the normal Elemental Weapon scaling options added as desired.
#LotorAllura2024