Author Topic: Kickstarter and Patreon  (Read 1549 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Kickstarter and Patreon
« on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
Has anyone used either of these to raise money for their projects? I know that they work in different ways, but I'm a bit uncertain as to how to go about it. Specifically, it's what to offer people that stumps me, especially on Patreon. Giving them something that would probably cost them less money if they paid for it seems a bit off. Do you just offer a warm, fuzzy feeling? Or do you offer more than they would normally get (if so, how do you profit from it)?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
Re: Kickstarter and Patreon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
My family has a film example - not gaming - but it is entertainment.

I haven't done one. My brother did two flexible spending GoFundMe campaigns to earn a little money for two of his low budget horror films.

He raised $2, 310 ($1000 came directly from one person rather via GFM) for the first
He raised $2, 750 for the second ($1500 from one person)

Stash https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stash#/
Devil's Five https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/devil-s-five#/

He did lesser rewards that didn't include the product at the lower end such as such as thanks and credit. In the mid range he did easy things such as the product and a signed poster. Upper rewards included a skype interview and a digital script. One person in each short film even claimed the highest donation perk - which if I recall they was there for the entire shoots, in the movies, and credited as producers.

What is important is to do things somewhat easy, possible, and not beyond your ability or means. And to not forget about shipping costs - which can be horrendous internationally - if it's a physcial product.

I'm sure gaming has similar rewards.

He  chose GoFundMe, since he could take whatever money that he raised. I know Kickstarter is all or nothing. I think Kickstarter and Patreon are for gaming however. Unless your name is established, don't expect a lot. But at least it help get his movie out there for publicity, raised a little capital, and some pre-purchases.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Speaking from a game standpoint: If I like what I see, don't think it will ever see retail or am potentially getting something the retail version won't have that is meaningful to me, and I trust you to fulfill then I'll back it on KS.  But I'm really picky about what I'll back.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:29:02 AM »
I think at the moment I'm more interested in Patreon. I'd like to (in the not too distant future) hire people to do small bits of work that I lack the skills for (primarily artwork and cartography), or to get a second hand version of Adobe CS, so we'd be probably talking $20-50. I think that would probably not be worth doing on Kickstarter (that may be best left until I have something I'd like to see pod).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
I said GFM but it was IGG, obviously seeing the links now.

Patreon sounds fun. I guess constant updates with the supporters is key