Author Topic: Rolemaster dnd conversion help  (Read 2645 times)

Offline hawklord

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster dnd conversion help
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:35:02 AM »
What would be the best spell equivalent of dnd classic spells like entangle and Web in RMC?

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster dnd conversion help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:42:36 AM »
Mmmmhhhh... Druids have the Tangleweed spell (RoCo I, Tree Mastery, level 15 spell) that is comparable to the Entangle spell. I don't know of an equivalent of Web in official RM2 publications but Terry Amthor wrote a Steel Web spell that does the job, in his "Powers of Light and Darkness Addendum —Spell Lists—", that he used to make available for free on his own page (now apparently defunct). I don't know where to find it now but you can probably ask in the Shadow World side of the site.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
I just checked the Shadow World forum: Terry uploaded the file here. The spell is Steel Web, from The Steel Rain, spell level 5, p4.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:59:45 PM »
Although it's not strictly RMC, RoCo IV has the Arachnemancy list (there is also a version in the RMSS Essence Companion) each of which has Web spells (Major, Minor, etc.) It should be easy enough to use those in RMC.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »
I would create my own or have the spell caster research it themselves. Many of the Wall spells have heavy MM penalties for moving through them Airwall is -50 (2nd level), Waterwall is -80 (4th level) to act as a level guide.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:16:26 AM »
Although it's not strictly RMC, RoCo IV has the Arachnemancy list (there is also a version in the RMSS Essence Companion) each of which has Web spells (Major, Minor, etc.) It should be easy enough to use those in RMC.
I considered them but they're not equivalent of the Web spell since they allow the caster to shoot web at targets rather than create a web trap.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »
While it is an RMSS book, the Essence Companion has a list called Arachnemancy. On that list is the Web spell, though at 3 different levels each one affecting more targets as the spell level increases.

As for the Entangle spells, you could base them off the Staying spells from the Essence Hands list (from RMFRP/SS) only have it be able to handle more weight, or just a certain number of targets like the Web spell above, as Staying is mostly a useless spell until you get to the really high level versions. (Actually, it is mostly useless until you get to the highest level versions, Staying True, when you can hold 10 lbs./level and actually affect things other than tiny objects and light furniture - or halflings.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
I considered them but they're not equivalent of the Web spell since they allow the caster to shoot web at targets rather than create a web trap.

Is there not an Arcane Spell from RoCo2 or 3 or 4 (I'm guessing) that can be used in conjunction to make a web trap spell?

I think it is called Spell Coordination (still guessing).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »
Just popped into my frond.

Additionally, did not the older versions of RM1 contain a page or two for converting back and forth between ADnD :o and RM.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 03:04:41 AM »
Just popped into my frond.

Additionally, did not the older versions of RM1 contain a page or two for converting back and forth between ADnD :o and RM.

rmfr

The original C&T had those conversion rules for monsters and there is a version in the vault here.

For the web spell I would define my own spell and base it upon something like Water Wall that gives a -100 or MM and attacks but would be 'sticky' so it stayed with the target. Alternatively you could use Hurling as the model but rather than using the Sling attack table you could use the grapple/grasp/envelop/swallow attack table and use directed spells for the attack roll. One doesn't hurt the victim the other does.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline hawklord

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
Thanks for your helpful suggestions