Author Topic: Claw attack  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Claw attack
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
For the first time I've introduced in my game world a race for PG who has access to a natural claw attack, but I can't find in any of my manuals how am I supposed to handle it. I mean, which skill category is it? Is a weapon skill, a special attack or count as martial arts?

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Claw attack
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
This will depend on what system you are using. In RMSS it would be classified under Special Attacks I believe along with Feinting and disarm weapon skills. I believe the name is Racial Weapon. You could have this as a MA attack or weapon attack if you wish. Limit it to one size less than the PC (Large PC would be medium Claw attack). The attack table can get very dangerous otherwise unless you use the Tiny critical table (just a suggestion).
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
I'm using RMFRP. Thanks for clarification!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
For the first time I've introduced in my game world a race for PG who has access to a natural claw attack, but I can't find in any of my manuals how am I supposed to handle it. I mean, which skill category is it? Is a weapon skill, a special attack or count as martial arts?

Since the species/race has claws naturally (I am assuming like the Idiyva), I would classify it under the Combat: Melee category.  For Martial Arts, I would classify it as a Weapon Kata.  As tbigness said, I would use the Claw/Talon Attack Table at -1 size class (Mdm PC = Small max).  This should work in any RM flavor.  However, I know nothing of the RMSS system since that is the version I skipped after my family was killed.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »
RMFRP's Character Law says natural weapons go in the Special Attacks category (same as RMSS). The Special Attacks category is not in the core book, but it is added in Character Law. Special Attacks has a stat mod of St/Ag/SD and a Combined progression. I think there's also a reasonable argument to be made for putting natural attacks in MA Striking.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:34 AM »
RMFRP's Character Law says natural weapons go in the Special Attacks category (same as RMSS). The Special Attacks category is not in the core book, but it is added in Character Law. Special Attacks has a stat mod of St/Ag/SD and a Combined progression. I think there's also a reasonable argument to be made for putting natural attacks in MA Striking.

You're right, i had totally missed it! Thank you all for your feedback, I'll stick with the basic rule of putting them in Special Attacks and limit them at size -1 as suggested.