Author Topic: A computer question  (Read 1767 times)

Offline mendal

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A computer question
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
In the tech book the only prices for actual computers not the programs listed is the microcomputer under personal items. Can you tell what space master books this information would be in?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: A computer question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »
The only one I found was ship-based computer programs.  I suspect you are asking about specific programs like spreadsheets, word processors, 3D modelling, etc.?

If so, use today's prices as is.  I would also expect the FOSS movement of today would still be in swing in the future also.  Even today, there are some quite sophisticated FOSS programs out there.

Also cloud computing may be the thing to use where you can pay for per-use, per month, per year, etc.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline mendal

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
No I mean the cost of the physical computer, the only computer that's listed is the micro computer which has a range of 1-4 MK. I want to buy a higher MK computer, are prices listed in star strike?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
If you have the Spacemaster: Privateers collection:
     4512PEquipmentManual.pdf page 60, could use listed numbers as per Mk#

In SM2 collection:
     9000cP-TechBook.pdf, the only reference is exactly like you said in the first post: Microcomputer (Mk. 1 through 4)

Otherwise, to be honest, I don't think there are any other references for computers.  I went through all my Spacemaster materials and only found references for ship-based computers.  And that was with the older SM2 system.  The SM:P system has no references to any kind of computer except how much it costs for only two programs (Ship Maneuvering Prediction and Ship Maneuvering Evasion, called Predict and Evade).

Sorry, not much more help can I give, except below.

However, if you think about how much computer technology and software power has increased in just 40 years (I built my first computer inside a wooden cabinet with only 1KB RAM and had to store programs on casette tapes in 1976), simply let your imagination run free.  Hell, in 1984 I was called a "crazy idiot" or a "f_____g retard" for saying computers will be the size of credit cards inside 30 years.  By 2014, what was the size of some of the smaller smart phones?  I'd love to meet some of those guys and gals today and ask, "You remember what I said about computers 32 years ago?"

If you want computer power, I can imagine my netbook computer that is only 17.5cm × 12.5cm × 1.5cm having more computing power than all of Google's server farms.  And that would not be including the possible "cloud computing" power it could also tap through the SCONE (Superluminal COmputer NEtwork).  And I could simply say this is only a Mk. 5 computer.

And such computers would probably not cost much more than today's computers, percentage of salary wise anyway.

Thus, use your imagination.  I think that is all I did those many decades ago when sci-fi role playing.  And still do today.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.