Author Topic: HARP SF (and Xtreme) errata/FAQ  (Read 1540 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
HARP SF (and Xtreme) errata/FAQ
« on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:07 AM »
Do either of these things exist in a document?

I found this on the GC site, but it's ... 13 years old. Which is fine, but how much, if anything, of that can be said to apply to the latest version of  HARP Fantasy, and HARP SF?

I have some questions, that I may or may not have interpreted correctly, or may or may not be answered in a central location, or in some thread on these forums that I've not managed to locate:
  • I seem to remember flanking and rear positional modifiers stacking, so if you do attack from rear you add both flanking and rear modifiers... is this correct?
  • Aimed Burst increases a weapon's attack size, so an assault rifle goes from medium to large, does this give it the +10 size modifier of a large weapon too?
  • "Foe Downed" does that simply mean prone, or must it be stunned/unconscious?
  • Reload times are not listed as anything but 2 rounds, but the talent seems to imply that reloading times vary between modern firearms (and energy weapons?). For the most common firearms I accept that 2 rounds is fine, but machine guns are like the crossbows of SF I guess, and arguably so with the shotgun/autoshotgun... how many rounds would you require to reload: 1- a hunting rifle? 2- a shotgun? 3- an autoshotgun, 4- an assault rifle? 5- a pistol? 6- a revolver? 7- light machine gun, 8- medium machine gun, 9- heavy machine gun? 10- the equivalent energy based weapons and others? 11- I assume replacing an energy cell in a vibroknife require 2 rounds?
  • Does reload take into account where the magazine/energy cell is located? So, a reload is 1 round to remove magazine/cell and 1 to put in a new and ready it... or is it remove, locate magazine/cell, load it into weapon?
  • The above errata I link to states that a person can draw a weapon and/or eat a herb (I guess a pill in HARP SF) as part of a "press & melee" combat action, is this still considered within the rules?
  • In relations to that, could you make a case for applying this to "move & attack" combat action too?
  • I assume you can use "move & attack" with ranged weapon attacks too?
  • Let's say the answer to the last 3 questions is yes, and that answer to no 5 is remove, locate and load - would it be ok to rule that someone with the Speed Loader talent could fire same round as reloading with a -10 or so penalty? The assumption being that drawing a weapon can be used in conjunction with movement according to link and no 6, arguably this should also apply to firearms in HARP SF and not be limited to melee weapons, reloading an assault rifle require 1 round (with Speed Loader talent,) same as drawing/readying a weapon - which according to the errata can be done as part of an attack with a penalty.
  • I'm considering a quick draw skill...
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: HARP SF (and Xtreme) errata/FAQ
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
Do either of these things exist in a document?

Not really.

• I seem to remember flanking and rear positional modifiers stacking, so if you do attack from rear you add both flanking and rear modifiers... is this correct?

See Table 10.3, pg 165. Yes.

• Aimed Burst increases a weapon's attack size, so an assault rifle goes from medium to large, does this give it the +10 size modifier of a large weapon too?

Yes, that's the point

• "Foe Downed" does that simply mean prone, or must it be stunned/unconscious?

Prone

• Reload times are not listed as anything but 2 rounds, but the talent seems to imply that reloading times vary between modern firearms (and energy weapons?). For the most common firearms I accept that 2 rounds is fine, but machine guns are like the crossbows of SF I guess, and arguably so with the shotgun/autoshotgun... how many rounds would you require to reload: 1- a hunting rifle? 2- a shotgun? 3- an autoshotgun, 4- an assault rifle? 5- a pistol? 6- a revolver? 7- light machine gun, 8- medium machine gun, 9- heavy machine gun? 10- the equivalent energy based weapons and others? 11- I assume replacing an energy cell in a vibroknife require 2 rounds?
  • Does reload take into account where the magazine/energy cell is located? So, a reload is 1 round to remove magazine/cell and 1 to put in a new and ready it... or is it remove, locate magazine/cell, load it into weapon?

The action round table covers the most common case, i.e. energy weapons where it is just clip in a new power pack. For more awkward weapons, i.e. putting in six bullets in a revolver, you might want 2 rounds + 1 round per bullet. I suspect there was meant to be a more detailed list of reload times in the book but it went astray at some point.

• The above errata I link to states that a person can draw a weapon and/or eat a herb (I guess a pill in HARP SF) as part of a "press & melee" combat action, is this still considered within the rules?

Most medications need to be injected or applied so not really. Or at the very least removed from their packing

• In relations to that, could you make a case for applying this to "move & attack" combat action too?

See above.

But SysOps should veto any fancy aimed shots etc by people who are moving.

• Let's say the answer to the last 3 questions is yes, and that answer to no 5 is remove, locate and load - would it be ok to rule that someone with the Speed Loader talent could fire same round as reloading with a -10 or so penalty? The assumption being that drawing a weapon can be used in conjunction with movement according to link and no 6, arguably this should also apply to firearms in HARP SF and not be limited to melee weapons, reloading an assault rifle require 1 round (with Speed Loader talent,) same as drawing/readying a weapon - which according to the errata can be done as part of an attack with a penalty.

No, because you won't be able to get the weapons reloaded fast enough.

At some point, this is called pushing one's luck. Anyone who has an empty powerpack gets to spend at least a round, probably two, changing packs. There are 100 shots in a power cell.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »
  • The action round table covers the most common case, i.e. energy weapons where it is just clip in a new power pack. For more awkward weapons, i.e. putting in six bullets in a revolver, you might want 2 rounds + 1 round per bullet. I suspect there was meant to be a more detailed list of reload times in the book but it went astray at some point.

Ok, cool. So 2 rounds if you have that round thingamajig that you see in some games and films, where the revolver bullets are ready to be just slotted into the revolving bit. I was considering making machine guns ~3-6 round affairs, most firearms 2 rounds, same with energy weapons with slot in batteries/energy cell/power packs.

Most medications need to be injected or applied so not really. Or at the very least removed from their packing

See above.

Okay, but what about drawing a weapon? -5 OB to draw and fire? Like the press & melee -5 OB move 5 feet/2 meters and attack and the errata linked to above?

I'm wondering because there is no "press & fire" ...  :o you know what I mean, a short movement and ranged attack equivalent. But I assume moving and attacking can be done with both melee and ranged, and therefore, you can take the penalty and draw and fire. I was considering increasing the penalty to -10 to base it off move and attack instead - if drawing a weapon could be considered equal to 2 meters of movement.

Also, drawing, moving and attacking ... albeit at an increased penalty? I was thinking borrowing the pace penalty. In this case you could only get off one shot though. For example: moving 6 meters at no faster than run, and drawing and firing would be -30 from movement, -10 for drawing, so a total of -40 on the shot.

But SysOps should veto any fancy aimed shots etc by people who are moving.
Sure. No careful aiming, no well-aimed shot... but I allowed aimed burst in last night's session. I'd consider limit it spread burst, perhaps allow suppression burst too.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 12:24:59 PM »
Necroing this topic because I found an errata point while looking for something else in HARP SF Xtreme, and this is the more recent errata topic for HARP SF. On Page 66 of HARP SF Xtreme, Table 2.7, Critical Mappings of Personnel Attack to Vehicle Critical Types is in the wrong order. The columns should be swapped. Table 2.8 on page 67 is in the proper order for Vehicle to Personnel Critical Mapping.
#LotorAllura2024