Author Topic: Weapon Mastery Abilities Optional Rules  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Weapon Mastery Abilities Optional Rules
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »
Optional weapon skill progression rules. I am looking at introducing these weapon mastery abilities into my campaign in the future. The premise here is that characters with high skill ranks in one specific weapon gain 'free actions' or combat benefits once they have skill rank 12 or more in a specific weapon.
Note. These are powerful and game altering abilities and are a 'work in progress'. I ma interested in your feedback and suggestions for other weapon abilities or ways to balance the ones that are listed here.

Weapon Mastery Abilities.

These are for higher skill ranks.
It will be possible to specialize in some of these abilities allowing each to be taken more than once. For example increasing bow range beyond 25% or reducing fumble range more than one point to lowest score of 1.

These weapon abilities can only be gained at full level up. When the prerequisite skill rank is reached the player may choose one ability for their weapon/weapon type.

Skill Rank requirements will likely be: 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30.

One Handed Edged
1. Reduce fumble range by one.
2. Reverse Strike (+20 OB to attacks versus opponents behind you, enemy attacks from behind gain no rear attack bonus)
3. Shield Bash (Must have a shield, one free additional Medium Bash attack, OB is equal to DB of shield plus stat mod, can develop extra ranks as a skill at next level up)
4. Weapon Brawling (one free additional MA Striking Rank One attack, use half skill rank bonus with the mastery weapon or MA skill whichever us highest as OB, can develop extra skill ranks as a skill at next level up)
5. Reposte. (Rapier only). When you full parry you can attempt a reposte attack in the same round, after defending. Make a reposte static action, using half your rapier skill rank bonus + Qu/Ag stat. If you succeed you can make an attack using 50% of your offensive bonus with the rapier.
6. Disarm. +20 to disarm action (single opponent only). At next level up can develop multiple disarming skill at half skill rank bonus. This allows two opponents to be disarmed or disarming of two weapons used by a single opponent. Treat skill rank level as 2x skill rank vs enemy level.
7. Adrenal Speed Mastery. May use adrenal move speed with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have QU stat of 95 or higher]

One-Handed Crushing
2. Shield Breaker. Versus opponents with a shield, if the Thunderous Strike misses by the DB range of the shield bonus the defender must make a check to see if the shield is dropped (treat as a disarming attack made on the shield) and then check for shield breakage.
3. Shield Bash (Must have a shield, one free additional Medium Bash attack, OB is equal to DB of shield plus stat mod, can develop extra ranks as a skill at next level up)
4. Weapon Brawling (one free additional MA Striking Rank One attack), use half skill rank bonus with the mastery weapon or MA skill whichever us highest as OB, can develop extra skill ranks as a skill at next level up (morning star only)
5. Shattering Blow. Your attacks ignore the damage reduction of armour.
6. Adrenal Strength Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30.
7. Crushing Blow. When you attack with your full OB, the chances of delivering a critical are increased by 1% for ever two skill ranks you have in this weapon. When a critical is delivered you gain advantage on the critical roll.
8. Adrenal Strength Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have STR stat of 95 or higher]

Bows
2. Increase bow range by 25% (composite bow or longbow only)
3. Double Shot. Make two attacks versus two different opponents. Both targets must be within 45 degree arc of the archers field of vision. Each attack has -25. (short bow or composite bow only). A single target can be fired upon with no modifier for first shot and -25 for the second shot.
4. Reduce reload time by one round (crossbow and heavy crossbow only)
5. Precision Shot. Add +15 to your attack for each round spent preparing. Maximum bonus of +45 (3 rounds). This modifier replaces any flank or rear attack modifier that would normally be gained for the attack. If a critical occurs from a Precision Shot, add the skill rank of the bow to the critical roll.
6. Adrenal Speed Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have Ag stat of 95 or higher]
7. Disarming Shot. You may target an opponents weapon arm/hand. Treat the disarming skill as half this weapons skill rank. If the disarming shot hits, the target must make an RR using target level versus the skill rank of the bow. If the target fails their RR they are automatically stunned for 1 round. Add one round of stun at skill ranks 15, 20, 25 and 30.

Pole Arms
2. Dual Attack. If your first attack hits you may attempt a dual attack. Make a dual attack static action, using half your pole arm skill rank bonus + St/Ag stat. If you succeed you can make an extra attack versus the same opponent using 50% of your offensive bonus.
3. Disarm. +20 to disarm action (single opponent only). At next level up can develop multiple disarming skill at half skill rank bonus. This allows two opponents to be disarmed or disarming of two weapons used by a single opponent. Treat skill rank level as 2x skill rank vs enemy level.
4. Double Parry. When you parry you can apply the DB to two separate attacks. Your natural DB from Qu stat is still halved.
5. Unbalancing Strike. When you attack with your full OB, the chances of delivering a critical are increased by 1% for ever two skill ranks you have in this weapon.
6. Shattering Blow. Your attacks ignore the damage reduction of armour.
7. Adrenal Strength Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have STR stat of 95 or higher]

Two Handed
1. Reduce fumble range by one
2. Reverse Strike (+20 OB to attacks versus opponents behind you), enemy attacks from behind gain no rear attack bonus (Two handed sword and battle-axe only)
3. Weapon Brawling (one free additional MA Rank Two attack), use half skill rank bonus with the mastery weapon or MA skill whichever is highest as OB, can develop extra skill ranks as a skill at next level up. (Flail uses Sweeps & Throws, all other two handed weapons use Striking)
4. Disarm. +20 to disarm action (single opponent only). At next level up can develop multiple disarming skill at half skill rank bonus. This allows two opponents to be disarmed or disarming of two weapons used by a single opponent. Treat skill rank level as 2x skill rank vs enemy level.
6. Adrenal Speed Strength. May use adrenal move speed with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30.
7. Unbalancing Strike. When you attack with your full OB, the chances of delivering a critical are increased by 1% for ever two skill ranks you have in this weapon. When a critical is delivered you gain advantage on the critical roll.
8. Adrenal Strength Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have STR stat of 95 or higher]

Thrown
2. Increase thrown range by 25%
3. Double Attack. (Dagger sized weapon or smaller only). Make two thrown attacks versus same opponent (0/-25 for same opponent) or (-25/-25) versus two different opponents.
4. Triple Attack. (Dagger sized weapon or smaller only, prerequisite is Double Attack ability previously selected). Make three thrown attacks versus the same opponent or different opponents. Each attack is at -25/-35/-45 versus three opponents or -0/-25/-25 versus single opponent.
5. Reduce range penalty by 10 for medium and long ranges.
6. Disarming Shot. You may target an opponents weapon arm/hand. Treat the disarming skill as half this weapons skill rank. If the disarming shot hits, the target must make an RR using target level versus the skill rank of the thrown weapon. If the target fails their RR they are automatically stunned for 1 round. Add one round of stun at skill ranks 15, 20, 25 and 30.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Weapon Mastery Abilities Optional Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:35 AM »
Two Handed
1. Reduce fumble range by one
2. Reverse Strike (+20 OB to attacks versus opponents behind you), enemy attacks from behind gain no rear attack bonus (Two handed sword and battle-axe only)
3. Weapon Brawling (one free additional MA Rank Two attack), use half skill rank bonus with the mastery weapon or MA skill whichever is highest as OB, can develop extra skill ranks as a skill at next level up. (Flail uses Sweeps & Throws, all other two handed weapons use Striking)
4. Disarm. +20 to disarm action (single opponent only). At next level up can develop multiple disarming skill at half skill rank bonus. This allows two opponents to be disarmed or disarming of two weapons used by a single opponent. Treat skill rank level as 2x skill rank vs enemy level.
6. Unbalancing Strike. When you attack with your full OB, the chances of delivering a critical are increased by 1% for ever two skill ranks you have in this weapon. When a critical is delivered you gain advantage on the critical roll.
7. Adrenal Strength Mastery. May use adrenal move strength with zero rounds of preparation. This ability can be used every third round at skill rank 18, every second round at skill rank 24 and every round at skill rank 30. [Must have STR stat of 95 or higher]

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:40 AM »
For the bows how would you handle someone taking multiple picks of the double shot option? Presumably that is not really double shot but actually 'extra shot' so it would not go 2 shots, 4 shots, 8 shots but 2, 3, 4? How would the penalites stand if I had taken it twice? Could I attack three targets and at what penalty, if I had 3 shots but two targets or what if I put all three arrows into one target?
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:15:06 AM »
For the bows how would you handle someone taking multiple picks of the double shot option? Presumably that is not really double shot but actually 'extra shot' so it would not go 2 shots, 4 shots, 8 shots but 2, 3, 4? How would the penalites stand if I had taken it twice? Could I attack three targets and at what penalty, if I had 3 shots but two targets or what if I put all three arrows into one target?

i wouldnt allow multiple picks of this ability. i know it 'doubles' up on adrenal move mastery/AM speed as well also so i would hav eto eiether drop one or say either one can be picked but not both?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:50 PM »
Can I ask what you are trying to achieve?

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Can I ask what you are trying to achieve?

goals with this system.
1) reward characters for higher weapon skill ranks
2) some variation between weapons (other than weapon tables)
3) more varied options for players in combat such as free action in addition to normal attack
4) incentive for continued development beyond skill rank 15 other than +2 or +1 or level bonus, to me the increase is negligible and some of my players think the same way
5) give the players an opportunity to develop totally unique weapon attacks for their specific weapon, one player came up with combining leaping with a rapier attack - possibly by springing off a wall or dropping from a rooftop. That sort or stuff is great and imo should be fostered and even rewarded.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
It seems to me that weapons styles would achieve the same thing and using a different skill progression such as +5 for ranks 1 to 10 then +4 for 11 to 20 then +3 and so on.

The higher OB would make the players more flexible regarding reverse strokes, parrying, adrenal moves (cancelling out the prep penalty) etc.

Styles will enable your players to custom build unique ways of fighting.

Every GM is different and emphasises different types of combat. Your players may soon work out which options of those above give the best bang per buck in real play and those options would get chosen again and again so you don't really end up with any more variety. It is a bit like with all the available weapons 90% of all characters end up with sword and board.

Offline DeadBob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
The only special rules I use for weapon skills is that at 20 ranks in a melee weapon, the character can split their attacks to a second target (dividing their OB as they choose) and to yet another target for each ten additional ranks.

For missile weapons, there is no similar benefit.