Author Topic: How obvious is prepping a spell?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How obvious is prepping a spell?
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:52:45 AM »
Specifically Mentalism?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Offline juza

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How obvious is prepping a spell?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »
SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS page 166
"All spells, no matter what realm of magic they are from, generate visible and spectacular effects when cast. These effects are primarily composed of bright lights that illuminate the spell caster, but they are also often accompanied by loud and varied sound"
and in the next page there are described specific visible effects of Mentalism realm "eyes that begin to glow with magical light" or "hair and features take on an unnatural hue" and more "his [mentalism user] body seems to generate a strange radiance from within"

So I really suggest you to read SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
"All spells, no matter what realm of magic they are from, generate visible and spectacular effects when cast. These effects are primarily composed of bright lights that illuminate the spell caster, but they are also often accompanied by loud and varied sound"
and in the next page there are described specific visible effects of Mentalism realm "eyes that begin to glow with magical light" or "hair and features take on an unnatural hue" and more "his [mentalism user] body seems to generate a strange radiance from within"

So I really suggest you to read SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS
That's... Interesting. Is that new to later editions? I mean, did that ever show up in RMC/RM2?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »
SoHK presents that as an optional rule, and suggests that if the rule is used, you also increase the chance of detection (spell risk). The core rules don't say anything about it. I think the default assumption would be that spells make as much noise as their effect (e.g. a lightning bolt is loud, but a detection spell may have no outward detectable aspect), so in many cases the spell is only detectable if you are speaking, gesturing, etc in order to cast it. RMSS/RMFRP give modifiers to the spellcasting roll for casting silently, without hands, etc. I think there is an optional rule in RM2 about this as well.

Bottom line, though, is GM's choice.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
And in RMU of course, these things are much better spelled out: you take penalties to your spellcasting roll if you want it to be undetectable, and you can develop the Spell Trickery skill to reduce or eliminate those penalties.

I really like what RMU has done here: made everything clearer and provided a system for casting spells stealthily, with Mentalism being essentially the easiest ones to cast that way.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
Interesting. I went back to SUC and it more or less has Mentalism be subtle by default. As cool as the Dragon Ball Z effect of SoHK would be, I think I will go with SUC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:38 PM »
"All spells, no matter what realm of magic they are from, generate visible and spectacular effects when cast.
It does, however, say "when cast".  Prepping is not casting (imo).  I'd probably go with Essence is visible gestures and gathering energy towards the end, Channeling is obvious Prayer-Chant, and Mentalism is obvious concentration.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline DeadBob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:30:32 PM »
I use RMFRP. The spell casting modifications chart has line specifically for use of voice (none/whisper/speak/shout) and use of hands (none/one/two). I factor all this in as modifications to Observation (That orc seems to be casting a spell!) and Spell Lore (That orc is casting an Essence Spell) and Magical Language (That orc is casting a fire spell using a Magical Language!).