Author Topic: Spells and professions from RMSS/RMFRP in RM2/RMC  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spells and professions from RMSS/RMFRP in RM2/RMC
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
I''ve always played RMFRP, but i recently tried to make my own "light" version of the system with two main goal: first, shorten character creation process and make a new character in half an hour; second, have a 2 page character sheet which can be easily read. I started from my RMFRP and introduced some elements from RM2 (and a couple of ideas from olther rpgs) to lighten the parts that I and my game group felt overcomplicated. Truth be told, the more I read about RM2/RMC the more I convinced myself that I was going in the wrong direction, because one of the things that seemed to slow down character creation (I measured any phase of the process very carefully) and messed up character sheet more is the skill category system.
To be honest, I love RMFRP skill system, or at least I really appreciate the logic behind it, but in my experience I used its advantages so rarely that all the complexity that it adds is sadly not worth it. So I switched to the more plain RM2/RMC skill sistem and imported  some concepts I wanted to keep from RMFRP: training packages, fixed value for body developement and power points developement ranks and some other thing.
My problem is this, my game world is based on RMFRP and a couple of professions are difficult to convert, because I can't find a RM2/RMC counterpart.

More specifically:

1 - I have oly one Essence user (Mage) and one Mentalism user (Mentalist), who can only use Open and Closed lists and suffer a penalty (like the Chaotic) to spell cast until they find a way to "specialize", in this way they get their own base lists. One of these specializations is the Mana Molder, and I can't find a similar class in RM2. Is possible to use RMFRP Spell Lists in RM2/RMC? This would solve the problem.
2 - In my game world, for reasons unknown to the most of people, magic was lost to the world for a couple of millennia and it came back a century ago or so. A new class of adventurers called Relic Seekers is for people that tries to find ancient objects related to magic (books, inscriptions, magic object) to sell them to those who are tring to figure out how magic works. I used the Dabbler for this class, is there a similar class in RM2/RMC?

Thank you guys!

Offline juza

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spells and professions from RMSS/RMFRP in RM2/RMC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
In my experience I saw that you can easily convert the spell list from various editions of Rolemaster to anotherone. so just do it.
For The Dabbler profession I think there is no a version in RM2 but I think you can use the delver profession presented in rolemaster compenion 1 and maybe change the base spell lists.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
In my experience I saw that you can easily convert the spell list from various editions of Rolemaster to anotherone. so just do it.
For The Dabbler profession I think there is no a version in RM2 but I think you can use the delver profession presented in rolemaster compenion 1 and maybe change the base spell lists.

If there are no known issues I'll simply go with RMFRP spell lists where there isn't an equivalent.
I've checked the first companion, your Delver suggestion seems promising. Thank you!

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
Some time ago I also made an attempt at simplifying RMSS/RMFRP, removing the skill categories, cutting down the number of skills etc. This was published at The Guild Companion here. Perhaps it is helpful for you.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
There is a list of all Rolemaster professions, here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/236244400/List-of-All-Rolemaster-Professions-May-2014

I don't know if there are any RM2 professions closer to what you're looking for than Delver, but it might be worth a scan.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »
I think the main issue going between RMSS and RM2 spell lists is that the RM2 lists don't give the RMSS spell types, and sometimes the power levels are... inconsistent... on the RM2 lists. Most of the time there should be no issue going from RMSS to RM2, it's the other direction that requires a little more attention.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Some time ago I also made an attempt at simplifying RMSS/RMFRP, removing the skill categories, cutting down the number of skills etc. This was published at The Guild Companion here. Perhaps it is helpful for you.

I took a look at your rules, very inspirational.
I'll stay on rm2 for classes and skill sistem, but I think I'll keep RMFRP rules for developing spell lists because I've read RMC Spell Low and I don't really like the way this aspect is handled.
I like what you've done with training packages, but I'll leave the fact they also give you ranks and equipment, because it's a nice way to customize the character and is fastest than purchasing skills individually, plus I plan to get rid of Adolescence skill development for all but the "own region" and "own culture" ranks, it's like you are leveling twice and slow things down. I am aware that this will make slightly weaker PC, but I'll adjust challenges accordingly. Besides, since we do not rely on criticals and killing for xp there's not all that fight in our games.
Another thing I did is eliminate the Potential Stat, I allow to toss the dice twice for each Stat choosing the highest result and purchase some stat gain (with BG options) at character creation and that's it, no more stat raising at new levels, so you don't have to recalulate all skills every time.
As for the weapons, I'll probably use the merp system  where the category is the ability, but I'll group axes with maces like in RMU, that's a reasonable choice they made there.

There is a list of all Rolemaster professions, here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/236244400/List-of-All-Rolemaster-Professions-May-2014

I don't know if there are any RM2 professions closer to what you're looking for than Delver, but it might be worth a scan.

Interesting, this is helpful. At least I have a map of everyithing at my disposition, and more important now I know WHERE all the stuff is located.

I think the main issue going between RMSS and RM2 spell lists is that the RM2 lists don't give the RMSS spell types, and sometimes the power levels are... inconsistent... on the RM2 lists. Most of the time there should be no issue going from RMSS to RM2, it's the other direction that requires a little more attention.

As I was sayng before, I think I'll stick to RMFRP for magic rules, but I'll use both for spell list so I will be careful, thanks for the advice. A little conversion will be needed for magic types, but I had to do it anyway becouse all the rm2 / rmc books are in english, only RMFRP was localised in Italian (and the first print was awfully translated, by the way). That wouldn't be much of a problem if all measure units were'nt in the imperial system, I'll have to convert everything to the international system units in order to play.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
double post, sorry. I can't eliminate this, can I?