Author Topic: Compatability questions for a returning Rolemaster player/GM.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Compatability questions for a returning Rolemaster player/GM.
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:45 AM »
   It's been roughly 20 years since I've played Rolemaster and want to get back into it. The classic Rolemaster is what I'm familiar with, but I've been reading about RMFRP and not sure which version I want to use. I'm planning on buying the core books to start with and will buy others over time. I'm wondering about classes that I'm familiar with and whether they even exist in RMFRP. The variety of skills seems to increase in RMFRP and if I buy a companion book that has a character class with listed skill costs for the classic game, then I could not use it under the RMFRP rules without more work on my part. Are there any character classes in the classic game that do not exist in RMFRP? If not, then would there be classes in RMFRP that are basically the same thing so it wouldn't be a big deal? One character class I remember that I liked from the classic game, for example, is the Necromancer which I think came from Rolemaster Companion II, but I have no idea if that class has been re-worked for the RMFRP system in either one of the core books or in a companion book meant for RMFRP. I can plainly see what system some expansion books were meant for, but what about the Rolemaster Companions 1-5? Which of those are suited for RMFRP system.

I don't have much money to spend so I'd like to get this right the first time around without ending up with books that I won't have much use for. I'm still not sure if I should go for the RMFRP system or just stick with the classic rules that I know so well. I've read about the differences, but still need to know more to be sure. I'd really appreciate any info that fellow Rolemaster players could give me:)

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Compatability questions for a returning Rolemaster player/GM.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 03:45:40 AM »
I just whipped up a quick list of the professions in use in my upcoming RMSS (RMFRP) game, along with the RM2 equivalents, and a ranking from 1 - 5, where 1 = significantly different and 5 = pretty much identical.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKE7TsX6Ur0ENVn4huY1TIc8sSy9QavrRUDEeXoOL90/edit?usp=sharing

The link is fully editable, so anyone else is welcome to add in more equivalencies. I only have Companions I, II and III in the RM2 line, so there are plenty of old professions I was never exposed to.

In general, RMSS professions tend to be better balanced, especially with respect to spell lists for the optional professions.

The RMSS Priest profession (from Channelling Companion) can be used to create a good number of the optional Channeling Professions from RM2.

Despite the fact that the systems are more similar than they are different, I don't think you'll get much use out of the RM2 Companions in an RMSS game. The points of difference are significant enough that it would take quite a bit of work to make them compatible with RMSS, especially when it comes to professions.

Personally, I prefer RMSS to RM2, but with a lot of skills removed and some adjustments to skill categories (merging quite a few of them).

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:03 AM »
Either RMSR on it's own, if you can find it, or RMFRP + RMFRP Character Law will give you all the base professions from RM2, plus a few that weren't core in RM2.

Essence, Mentalism and Channeling Companions give you a bunch of variant professions based around each Realm.

Arcane Companion gives you four Arcane professions, which treat Arcane in a much more structured fashion than the early RM2 Companions (and there is no real equivalent to the RM2 Archmage).

The Elemental Companion gives you a number of elemental based professions but I believe the old RM2 version had a wider selection.

Martial Arts Companion (not in print) gives you some variant monks, but no Dervish or High Warrior Monk.

Some RM2 professions are designed to be built using Training Packages in RMSS. Most RMSS fans seem to really like Training Packages, I'm not much of a fan, personally.

Offline mark99913

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »
Thank you, you've been very helpful. I like the extra variety of RMSS and the extra game balance is also important to me as well.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:50:24 PM »
I very much like the Martial Arts Companion if you can get your hands on it. With only a very minor amount of creativity it does a lot for Pure Arms Users in my opinion (not just Monks), which can help you re-create some of the RM2 Arms professions.  You can find it on Amazon for $18 currently too (used).

Channeling Companion lets you re-create a lot of Channeling related professions and you can use it to tweak Paladins and Rangers too (any Channeling profession really) once you get the overall idea of the 'Priest' concept.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss