Author Topic: Cancelling a stored spell  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Cancelling a stored spell
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:03:14 PM »
Is it possible to cancel a stored spell or does it have to be cast before you can cast another spell? And where can I find this in the rules? A store spell in companion 2 got me a bit confused

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Cancelling a stored spell
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
CANCELING A SPELL
The caster of a spell can, at any time, cancel that spell; the caster must be within the spell’s original range limit or within “sensing” range of the spell’s current effects. The caster cannot cancel the actual physical or mental results of a spell (e.g., fire, wounds, created materials, etc.). Cancellation takes 1 round of concentration. (Channeling spells may also require the permission or acquiescence of the caster’s deity to cancel the effect.)

Spell Law pg 87
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 02:10:23 AM »
CANCELING A SPELL
Spell Law pg 87
IMO this refers to cancelling a spell that was already cast and where the effects should now end. But, as far as I understood, Lorgalis' question refers to a spell stored e.g. via the Spell Store spell.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:13:12 AM »
Is it possible to cancel a stored spell or does it have to be cast before you can cast another spell? And where can I find this in the rules? A store spell in companion 2 got me a bit confused
I don't think this gets clarified in the rules, unless the Spell Store's spell description includes a notion of how to cancel a stored spell. Personally, I'd allow cancelling a stored spell similar to the normal spell cancelling rules, i.e. it should take a round of concentration for the caster to cancel the stored spell and then he can store a new spell.

YMMV

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:51:26 AM »
Well, in effect, one may consider that the spellcaster is under the effect of the Spell store spell, so he may just cancel it, thus cancelling the fact he has a spell stored.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »
Well, in effect, one may consider that the spellcaster is under the effect of the Spell store spell, so he may just cancel it, thus cancelling the fact he has a spell stored.
That's a nice explanation to get the spell cancelling rules into the boat  :).

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
I found this idea on the internet: A "Spell Store"d (Rune Mastery 2) spell prevents all other spells from being cast until the stored spell is cast, and there is no apparant way to un-store a stored spell except by casting it. If, therefore, you can trick a mage into storing a spell that he really doesn't want to ever cast (e.g., "Greater Demonic Gate") you can effectively neutralize him until he finds some extraordinary means of having the spell un-stored.

So i started to think about the rules for canceling spells

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
That's kind of a premise of the Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, a mage who is magically useless because he's stuck with a spell too dangerous and unknown to cast.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
Aha! I thought it was a brilliant idea, but I think i will rule that a spell caster can just cancel a stored spell. Or Else there should be a "cancel stored spell" spell. Just wanted to know how other gms would handle it

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
That's kind of a premise of the Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, a mage who is magically useless because he's stuck with a spell too dangerous and unknown to cast.

Rincewnd!!!  :laugh1:  The spell is so powerful he can't learn any other spells because they won't stay in his head.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
That's a nice explanation to get the spell cancelling rules into the boat  :).
That'd easily explain why a spellcaster cannot store several spells, as one cannot cumulate the same spell (or, rather, being simultaneously under the effect of several castings of the same spell): since he's already under the effect of the Spell store spell, he's not affected by the casting of another.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.