Author Topic: Noble warrior armors and weapons  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Noble warrior armors and weapons
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
The spells on his lists are touch.
So we looked at description, and it looks like a noble warriors can buff a party to at 20 and give them noble weapon spells.
So... That's fun.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Noble warrior armors and weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
In RMSS, those two lists were reworked as Armor Mastery and Weapon Mastery for the Armsmaster profession (in the Mentalism Companion). The RMSS versions don't work on others though....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
If we do get a version of the Noble Warrior in RMU (and I really hope we do, because I love the class and think RMU needs a heavy-armor wearing Mentalism Semi), then I hope the correction RMSS made is retained. I wouldn't want to see a Noble Warrior armoring up the party Sorcerer to AT 10!

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
I think the Armsmaster (RMSS's heavy-armor wearing mentalism semi) was well done. They also have spell lists for military organization and communication (Battle Law), protection of camps and strongholds (Fortress Law), personal and troop movement (Martial Law), and some self-healing and survival (Warrior's Law).

Fortunately, one of the authors of the Mentalism Companion was this guy Nicholas Caldwell so I imagine there shouldn't be any rights issues in updating it for RMU. I also love the Enchanter from the same book.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »
Nice! I did not know Nicholas did the Mentalism companion. I will take a look at the Enchanter too. I never really used the spell companions much, as I think they were oriented to RMSS. But there is a wealth of good stuff in there.

The Armsmaster is also the closest Rolemaster ever came to DnD's Warlord, so i think there could be a decent number of players interested in the class.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
But would you allow a noble warrior to use his spell in RM2 to buff up party?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
But would you allow a noble warrior to use his spell in RM2 to buff up party?

Personally, I think the intent of the designers was to limit the spell to the Noble Warrior's own clothing/armor. You can see this not only in the fact that the spell list was later changed to only affect the Noble Warrior's armor, but also in the caveat they give at the top of the spell list in the original version in RM Companion III, which reads:

Only one spell from this list may be active on a given individual and his set of armor.

But I think it was worded poorly, because literally, that would not prevent the Noble Warrior from casting the spells on the list on his party-mates. So the Rules As Written (RAW) seem here to contradict the Rules As Intended (RAI).

Does the party Noble Warrior have enough PowerPoints to cast these spells on everyone? That is one limitation the spells have in both the RAW and the RAI. Semi Spell users tend not to have so many Powerpoints.

Anyway, you have to make the call. I personally would say to my group, 'Yes, the spells literally could apply to other characters' armor, but the intent of the designers was clearly that it only apply to the Noble Warrior, so I am making a ruling that it only applies to the Noble Warrior's armor.'