Author Topic: The Echoes of Heaven Bestiary  (Read 4324 times)

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Echoes of Heaven Bestiary
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »
I don't have the Echoes of Heaven setting, and honestly don't plan on buying it any time soon, but monsters I can always use.

If I understand the webstore correct, the bestiary is bundled with an adventure??

Is the Echoes of Heaven Bestiary a good addition to any HARP GMs collection of monsters?

Gaute Gunleiksrud

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
[I am in control of my addiction!]
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Echoes of Heaven Bestiary
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »
Ack - I took the files home but didn't leave a copy here at work.

I liked it.  It is primarily demons and other evil nasties rather than more 'mundane' creatures so you may not find it as useful if you don't use those things often.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
I liked it.  It is primarily demons and other evil nasties rather than more 'mundane' creatures so you may not find it as useful if you don't use those things often.

Well, after my groups recent troubles with a demon it can't hurt to have a wider variety of the nasty buggers.

Mostly I try to use evil doing NPCs instead of monsters, but very so often, they need to come up against a single creature that gives them a good fight. I find it  does wonders for their self esteem to have their asses kicked by one single opponent. Always feel better defeating one tuff guy than 10 lightweights.

For $9 it sounds like a good deal. So I think I'll buy it.

Gaute Gunleiksrud

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
If you are looking for Demons, this book is perfect.

In addition you will get Celestial Beeings, Elemental Wraithes (powerful undead), Dragons, Nephilims (Giants) and a couple of further monsters (like the Beastman).

It's definitely worth the money.

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
Then it's bought and downloaded.
I did however buy the wrong product first and got the main Echoes of Heaven book, and when I finally managed to buy the bestiary I first bought the d20 variant before finally getting the book I set out to buy.

After looking at it I must say that the stat blocks in the HARP variant were much easier to read than the d20 variant. I don't know if it's because I play prefer HARP or because of the amount of information needed for the d20 stats don't lend themselves to good layout like the HARP stats do.

Anyway I got the setting book as well due to just looking up a page in the history of my browser and clicking add to cart. I'll have a look at the setting later, but for now it's the monsters I wanted.

I've had a quick look at it and it seems to be a very good book. Good layout, lots of information and lots of fiendish creatures for me to pit against my poor unfortunate players. The elemental wraith looks like an instant favorite, can't wait to try a couple of them out in combat against my players.
Gaute Gunleiksrud

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:51 AM »
No, d20 stat blocks are difficult to follow.  In RM/HARP the blocks actually do what they say (with the exception of spells which is also a problem with d20).  In d20 you have feats which you have to look up to see what they do - unless you have them memorized which doubtlessly some have done.

But regarding on which version to buy you can just spend a little extra and get RM/HERO/HARP/d20 in one swell foop.  It costs a little more but I found comparing the different versions can be inciteful as some concepts don't convert well or don't have mechanics for - the paladin for example isn't in HARP but is in a bazaar or you could use an arms cleric.

But overall I found the layout and format very easy to follow and the blurbs about the creatures and their background loaded with potential plot hooks, especially the giants.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
Buddha, I think I know which purchases you were, but send me a PM with your real name or e-mail address.  Tell me what you want to keep and what you want to delete and I'll refund the others.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
Buddha, I think I know which purchases you were, but send me a PM with your real name or e-mail address.  Tell me what you want to keep and what you want to delete and I'll refund the others.

Now that's what I call service.

3 hours after I did my purchase I've gotten another product for the money I spent double instead of a refund. I wish all stores on the internet were as service minded as this.
Gaute Gunleiksrud