Author Topic: What's the best thing about roleplaying?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: What's the best thing about roleplaying?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »
note that number crunching/math gets zero votes.  We RM fans obviously do not mind it as much as some, yet we still would prefer not to.

This is very true.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
You forgot one option:

Camaraderie and fun.

rmfr

I think the poll is to determine where the fun comes from, so that can't be an option.
As for camaraderie, that option would be
I enjoy the real life people I play with more than the game
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
I think the poll is to determine where the fun comes from, so that can't be an option.
As for camaraderie, that option would be
I enjoy the real life people I play with more than the game

Emphasis mine.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Most of the time I have played FtF, only about 50% of the time is spent actually RPGing.  The other half is spent in camaraderie.

I guess I should have elaborated that the "fun" part of "Camaraderie and fun" is the actual RPGing.

Perhaps a rewording: Camaraderie and RPGing.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
I have always enjoyed becoming my character and escaping from the real world.  Now where were those orcs that were in the break room!   ;)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
That's an interesting article. I don't know whether to laugh or be offended. (I think I will go with laugh.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
That's an interesting article. I don't know whether to laugh or be offended. (I think I will go with laugh.)

I was offended and quit reading after about the fourth or fifth paragraph.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
It was written in 1980, what do you expect? lol
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 12:03:13 AM »
Yeah, geeks hadn't yet taken over the world in 1980. Now, looking at the role of computers, smartphones, and the internet in our lives, and the decline of newspapers, television, and radio, I think it's fair to say that's changed....
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
Yeah, geeks hadn't yet taken over the world in 1980. Now, looking at the role of computers, smartphones, and the internet in our lives, and the decline of newspapers, television, and radio, I think it's fair to say that's changed....

And I have to agree with this assessment.

rmfr

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 02:26:57 AM »
The geek has, indeed, inherited the Earth.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
An example of the prevalence of geek culture:

I was in a Firehouse subs (love them!) the other day, waiting on my order. They had ESPN on the telly. When ESPN (I don't remember the specific show that was on) started to go to break they put up a bunch of artist renditions of different athletes as superheroes. Then they did something I don't think I would ever have thought possible on ESPN: they went to a floor shot of Comic Con. Comic Con on ESPN. Incredible.

I think, nowadays, if you went into just about any high school in America and asked any kid there who their favorite superhero was, they would have an answer. It wouldn't matter the click; jocks, nerds, soc's, goths, any and everyone of them would likely be able to immediately tell you who's their favorite superhero. Back in my HS days, most of them would have: A) laughed at you, B) look at you like you were diseased/crazy, C) punched* you in the face, or D) All of the above, if you asked them that question. Love this time.

*And probably taken your lunch money.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline chukoliang

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
I enjoy all of the above, except the number crunching as I'm not great at math. I did Calculus and other classes in school, but only because they forced students in my group to do so. If it wasn't for my friends explaining stuff and then checking my work, I would of never passed those classes.

I love the character creation. Designing a character to exploit my GM's world and then realizing it in game. I love fighting the monsters and such. But it is more fun to see how my group works to overcome the new situations my GM throws at us.

Initially I got into D&D and it and it's groups were fine. But a friend introduced me to RM and every time I am stuck playing D&D again it is like being handcuffed to a bad system. Even though they do a great job marketing it to the masses.

I had no idea what I would love about RP groups when I started, but I ended up friends with most of my group for over 20 years. Through that group I also learned about Everquest when it first came out and got to enjoy playing MMO's with the same guys I played tabletop with. Over that time we got to hand down these games to our children and spouses. 

So all of it is great, and loved by me. Except the number crunching. But fortunately my son is fantastic at math and handles the quick calculating for the entire group. But in the end the big surprising love for me was the friendships, that lasted much longer than I could of ever hoped for. And our group has people of several different races, and the professions run from Doctor, IT professionals to unemployed.

In hind sight RP games were one of the best things I ever got into.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »
In hind sight RP games were one of the best things I ever got into.
Absolutely, and whole-heartedly agree.

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
I tend to GM, just love worldbuilding and NPC/adventure design. Its also about the group: after a hiatus of 15 years, we've been playing via Skype (from 5 different locations across Australia and NZ) for about 15 months now and having a whale of a time.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
I cannot agree more.  When I found D&D years ago I was just of of Navy boot camp.  We found that playing was a great way to spend time underway.  Each one of us brought a book and we all had paper and pen.  Long days of patrol was livened up by a 2 times  week game.

The only time I did not play was during the two years I devoted to getting my PhD.  Even then i went to a local convention when it ran.

When I first marriage disintegrated I went to the local convention about 3 months later and told a friend of mine I was in love...love at first sight.  Well that person is now my wife and we have 4 kids, all of whom play some sort of game.  My eldest actually judged a game at the Jr Con setting at the last convention at the ripe old age of 11.

So you could say that gaming has been VERY good to me.

-BP

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 01:01:53 PM »
I cannot agree more.  When I found D&D years ago I was just of of Navy boot camp.  We found that playing was a great way to spend time underway.  Each one of us brought a book and we all had paper and pen.  Long days of patrol was livened up by a 2 times  week game.
While in the Marine Corps I remember playing on some ships. I think one time it was in the laundry room? Or near there. Fun times.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
I was on several Submarines.  We set up in Sonar Axillary Space.  Nice and out of the way.  But I am sure the voice calling out "Troll!" might have put off some of the folks.  A lot of the crew played some form of RPG.

-BP

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 01:14:17 AM »
I enjoy the story telling part. Which is why I like to GM 99% of the time. Probably equal to that is getting together and hanging out with friends and like minded people and having a good time.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
I enjoy the story telling part. Which is why I like to GM 99% of the time. Probably equal to that is getting together and hanging out with friends and like minded people and having a good time.

Most of my players love the story I weave.  They feel they are helping write the story.  This is why I GM more than play a character.  But when I get to play a character most folks tell me I totally get into it.

-BP