Author Topic: About Parrying multiple Opponents  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: About Parrying multiple Opponents
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
It's certainly harder to defend against multiple attackers. I think the rule as written -- that you can only parry people you are attacking -- makes it too hard, though. Allowing parry to apply to all foes makes it too easy. Splitting parry might be a more realistic middle ground. On the other hand, applying parry against all foes is quick and simple to apply, and while it is not super realistic, it gives a little help to the combatant who is in a very bad position. That might help an outnumbered PC, or it might help a boss monster; I think both of those might be good for the game.

I haven't had any problems with applying parry against all foes, but circumstances haven't really tested its extremes yet.

Its a game, not a reality simulator.

True, but the better it models reality the better it is for those of us who like a more simulationist approach, especially if making it model reality better does not inhibit the gamist approach in any way.

With the Action Point system, RMU introduces the possibility of handling parry in different ways. But that is of course a topic for another thread.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »
It's certainly harder to defend against multiple attackers. I think the rule as written -- that you can only parry people you are attacking -- makes it too hard, though. Allowing parry to apply to all foes makes it too easy. Splitting parry might be a more realistic middle ground. On the other hand, applying parry against all foes is quick and simple to apply, and while it is not super realistic, it gives a little help to the combatant who is in a very bad position. That might help an outnumbered PC, or it might help a boss monster; I think both of those might be good for the game.

I haven't had any problems with applying parry against all foes, but circumstances haven't really tested its extremes yet.

True, but the better it models reality the better it is for those of us who like a more simulationist approach, especially if making it model reality better does not inhibit the gamist approach in any way.

With the Action Point system, RMU introduces the possibility of handling parry in different ways. But that is of course a topic for another thread.

A simulationist approach is very hard for a game to function mechanically. RM is already a very deadly system, more so than any other RPG across all various levels. The mere function of making a PC "Possibly" last past one round of combat let alone a game session is based on can the opponent get a hit on me. If a PC is going to delegate any of his attack to defense then it should be applied to the perceived attacks withing the weapon arc as all attacks are not just a one and done kind of event. They are flashes and flurries where a hit result  is the effect of finding a hole or overcoming a barrier to do some kind of damage. So withing that 2-4 AP attack (approximately 2-5 seconds) their weapon has opportunity to deflect multiple attacks in the weapon arc while trying to find the sweet spot for an attack result.

Having a parry apply to the weapon arc also allows characters determine facing strategies for best placement of shield or weapons or on how to attack an opponent. This can only enhance the game mechanic and give strategic minded people like me a chance to take advantage of a situation without tipping the game balance. This gives the back against the wall a strategy that is better than being in the open or in a tight corridor or doorway more defensible to hold the line than OK I parried once and now I am dead.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »
That's a good point, Tbigness, and one we should consider. I am risking derailing this thread with the more general issue, though, so I am going to stop commenting here and have made a different thread in the RMU boards to discuss how RMU might handle it. If you're interested, you might post in it:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17307.msg210434#new

One further thing to consider is that RMU's move to action points adds some new wrinkles and possibilities to the system.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »

A simulationist approach is very hard for a game to function mechanically. RM is already a very deadly system, more so than any other RPG across all various levels. The mere function of making a PC "Possibly" last past one round of combat let alone a game session is based on can the opponent get a hit on me. If a PC is going to delegate any of his attack to defense then it should be applied to the perceived attacks withing the weapon arc as all attacks are not just a one and done kind of event. They are flashes and flurries where a hit result  is the effect of finding a hole or overcoming a barrier to do some kind of damage. So withing that 2-4 AP attack (approximately 2-5 seconds) their weapon has opportunity to deflect multiple attacks in the weapon arc while trying to find the sweet spot for an attack result.

Having a parry apply to the weapon arc also allows characters determine facing strategies for best placement of shield or weapons or on how to attack an opponent. This can only enhance the game mechanic and give strategic minded people like me a chance to take advantage of a situation without tipping the game balance. This gives the back against the wall a strategy that is better than being in the open or in a tight corridor or doorway more defensible to hold the line than OK I parried once and now I am dead.
+1
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
Well, I usually apply this house rule:
I let the player parry any attack in the weapon ark, but I apply a progressive malus to the DB for each attack after the first, as if the defender was trying a more difficult action at each subsequent attempt to parry.
Just my two cents.  :)