Author Topic: Combo Game of HARP and HARP Sci-Fi?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combo Game of HARP and HARP Sci-Fi?
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »
  Has anyone done a combo game of HARP and HARP Sci-Fi? If so are there any problem areas? Or anything that came up that someone should look out for?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Combo Game of HARP and HARP Sci-Fi?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
From RM/SM crossover days, even low level magic combined with technology can allow super absurdity.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
From RM/SM crossover days, even low level magic combined with technology can allow super absurdity.

That is sort of what I a afraid of. My group is in the planning stage of our Space Game and we/I am trying to see what setting options we will allow. Some choices are easy to exclude as HARP Extreme in not out yet but it might be before we/I get all the stuff done for the universe and game.

Thanks.

Can you think of any specific examples? I have not played HARP in a log time and have not used CofM at all in our game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
I've been trying to come up with something sort of in the middle, but while the systems are almost perfectly compatible, at this point they are not quite so.

The biggest problem mechanically is that even if "civilization has fallen" such that there is no purpose to Vehicular and Technical skills, there is still the Scientific skill category, which isn't in HARP Fantasy at all. Moreover, characters developed in HARP SF had 3 more categories they had to spread their DPs out among, which affects how much power/skill/etc. is "enough" for a beginning character. Thus either HARP SF characters start slightly more powerful than HARP Fantasy characters, or they start feeling slightly "underpowered" for their own "native" setting/mechanics assumptions.

The other major issue is as Marc R noted, trying to get a balance between technology and magic. It gets worse still if you include psionics and magic both. The way around that as a GM is to tweak the setting to where technology is difficult and dangerous, tweak the magic/psi mechanics so that magic/psi/both are difficult and dangerous, or both. This way you can get powerful magic/technology in the game, but you won't get it unless people are really desperate.

;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
Generally it's if one of the players knows some science, and makes some variation of the " Wow, with Heat Solid I can build a fuel free engine." or the "With Chill solid, a computer has a perfect heat sink and can operate at levels way beyond what it should be capable of."

Generally, any long duration or large mass effecting spell that can be added to a scientific process and get a major boon. . .with HARP the generally reduced durations will help, but I suspect with some scaling ingenuity they can find something to combo off of.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Eisenmann

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
My HARP/SF mashup will consist mostly of fantasy critters moved over to the SF setting.

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:22:01 PM »
Generally, any long duration or large mass effecting spell that can be added to a scientific process and get a major boon. . .with HARP the generally reduced durations will help, but I suspect with some scaling ingenuity they can find something to combo off of.

Or simply cast the spell as a ritual and set duration to permanent.  :o
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!