Author Topic: Different Tech Levels  (Read 1177 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Different Tech Levels
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »
  I am working with some of my gaming group to model their play by post free style game using HARP Sci-Fi as the character part and Traveler T3 Fire Fusion and Steal as the tec part. Because we have access to the rules for starship construction and an easy to use Tech table that we can pin down the various races tec advances. We will also be using RMSS AL ,RMSS AL:FA and SM:P BL for combat resolution besides the T3 stuff for starship design and combat.
 What I am wondering is how to handle equipment at different tec levels gained by the PC during PC creation? ie I think it should be a Talent but and wondering on what you think the cost should be.
Thanks
MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Different Tech Levels
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:42 AM »
Probably simplest to apply penalties for using or doing stuff with equipment outside a character's tech level (see Equipment Issues in the Adventuring chapter). For learning the needful to understand a lower tech level, perhaps 5DP Talent, for going up a tech level, perhaps 10DPs. Depends on how much of the lower or higher tech level the character really wants to acculturate themselves to. If it is just one or two items of kit, then this is overkill.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Different Tech Levels
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »
NicholasHMCaldwell;
 Thanks for the input. Some of the races are very advanced vs the others so it is going to be interesting to see what happens. It seems that the project is on hold right now but that may change for one reason or another. I am still going to do the big race just to see how powerful it is and of right now it is very powerful. With 210 points of Talents and more to figure out. I guess in the play by chat it has not been a big deal but in a face to face game the differences look huge.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.