Author Topic: Vacuum Adaption vs Space Adaption  (Read 1848 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Vacuum Adaption vs Space Adaption
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
Can someone explain the difference to me? And when you would use one vs the other.
Page 98 and 99 in H:SF
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Vacuum Adaption vs Space Adaption
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
Space Adaptation appears to be concerned with microgravity and/or free fall, in other words it would still apply in a space station with plenty of air.

Vacuum Adaptation deals with the pressure differential, so it would apply even in a vacuum chamber in full gravity.

My 2 coppers, I'm not official.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
My 2 coppers, I'm not official.

Wouldn't that be 2 milli-credits?  ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
You're awfully smart aleck for someone who's trying to avoid getting smacked in the head with a space station.

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
Space adaption would be tolerance to freefall conditions: Bones don't leach calcium, muscles don't atrophy, tissue drainage isn't effected, immune cell circulation/surveillence isn't comprimised. Freefall sickness/ the need for a visual horizon is banished.

vaccuum adaption: Tolerance to a lack of pressure (perhaps internally strengthend cell/organ membranes. It would imply a tolerence to cold as well. Also some form of contained breathing, so your lungs/gills/gas transport system doesn't rupture.

Offline Maelstrom

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Current mentality: Excruciatingly Confused
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »
You're awfully smart aleck for someone who's trying to avoid getting smacked in the head with a space station.

:o

It's the darn bag o' icy shrapnel of death that's doing that more than my snarky remarks.  :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
Can someone explain the difference to me? And when you would use one vs the other.
Page 98 and 99 in H:SF
MDC

Yup as others have indicated, Space Adaptation is about being unaffected by the medical issues of low and micro-gravity. Vacuum Adaptation is about being able to survive without pressure and indeed air.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme