Author Topic: tweaking Harp monsters to Harp Sci-Fi  (Read 1210 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
tweaking Harp monsters to Harp Sci-Fi
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or feedback on adapting Harp monsters over to Harp Sci-Fi.  I've done it with the Giant Wasp with no trouble, but am concerned with some of the more exotic or intelligent monsters that may have more skills or better armor. 

I'm also wondering if I need to factor in the fact that unintelligent monsters tend not to have missile/ranged attacks into my encounter planning for difficulty.  Since the party will have extremely lethal ranged attacks, and the monsters tend not to do you figure that to be a 1 or 2 step drop in anticipated difficulty.  I know this can really vary depending on conditions, but was just wondering about in general "typical" conditions.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

-Pyrotech

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: tweaking Harp monsters to Harp Sci-Fi
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
I've done similar with RM/SM, and generally the animals and stupid monsters either need to come in droves, or when they have an advantage. . . .

Wolves vs space marines, no contest.

Space marines marooned on a planet with just the ammo they can carry and a five week hike to the nearest communication beacon?

Arrroooooooo!!
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
If you're going to have monsters in a SF setting, you simply MUST have giant ants. It's traditional.

;D

You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:01 AM »
Well,

I hadn't thought about giant ants, but they would fit the setting well.  And they would just need a cosmetic change to make them seem "alien" and maybe giving them a pounce attack to help deal with the whole range issue.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

-Pyrotech