Author Topic: Two Gun Combo  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Excession

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Two Gun Combo
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »
Quick question. Is this skill for two different guns e.g. flame pistol and a 9mm pistol? Or is it also required for two 9mm pistols, identical weight, characteristics, etc.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Two Gun Combo
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »
Quick question. Is this skill for two different guns e.g. flame pistol and a 9mm pistol? Or is it also required for two 9mm pistols, identical weight, characteristics, etc.

It is needed in both cases. Essentially it is the ability to cope with using two guns at the same time, and it needs to be learned separately for each pairing of weapons.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Excession

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
Thanks Nicholas, that was what we ended up going with. Nice to get it from the source though :)

We also ruled that ambidexterity talents/cybernetic programming would negate the penalty the offhand weapon receives.

On an unrelated matter, thank you - to you and the team - so very much for the new version of Spacemaster. My group and I are, for the most part, enjoying the ruleset and simplified resolution immensely. I think we miss the amusing/entertaining reams of critical tables from the original SM (and RM for that matter) but in terms of ease of play it's much more straightforward.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »
A related question.

If ML you get paired weapon fighting, should one use a similar mechanic if using two identical guns in combo? a "paired gun combo"… x1.5 skill ranks in, with similar bonuses for criticals as in ML? I assume so, but of course I'm wondering…
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
Guns being a ranged weapon, I'd think the difficulty would be in targeting two spots at once, rather than simultaneously handling two pieces of hardware effectively.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »
Certainly I agree, but for the more heroic and cinematic (gun-fu) types of games I see no problem with it, but realistically I would think so…

Still, even if you limit the two attacks to be against the same target, they are treated as separate attacks… and the skill requires the two weapons to be different skills. For more realistic oriented games I might have used that option, or that the targets must be within a certain arc, i.e. no attacking people too far away from each other, but two adjacent opponents could be attack… perhaps with a penalty… I don't know.

A paired gun combo would entail identical guns, which would be based on one skill, like paired weapon fighting in ML, also its one attack as opposed to two of the two gun combo… That is why I'm just wondering how the critical should be modified, if one should differentiate it from the modifications in ML…
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
After watching three seasons of "Top Shot" on cable, I really don't think the idea of someone trying to accurately fire two guns at the same time is realistic.  It sounds more like "spray and pray" than skill to me.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
All I'm saying is that using disparate weapons with different "normal" ways of using them against a single target is a very different skill from multiple targeting. Assuming it could be done, that sounds like something that would bear more resemblance to martial arts fighting styles. And in a lot of ways it's more of a perception skill than it is a combat skill.

It sounds more like "spray and pray" than skill to me.

Ah yes, the "fill the sky with junk" method.  ;D
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
"Spray and pray" hehe. I like it.  :)

On-toic: In a game or setting where this skill exist and is usable, however unrealistic it is in the real world, which I don't think is the point with the skill nor with harp sf – to be notoriously realistic that is. Nor is it my idea of an entertaining sci-fi game that I would would run or play in… here of course people disagree…

I think the existing two gun combo combat style (which is what it is – perhaps base it on the perception stats (In/SD) instead of strength and agility) works pretty well… yet it does, as I have pointed out, require two different weapons to be used. Which is fine, yet I'm missing the paired weapon version and would like some input on the handling of this…

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
Maybe the idea of 2-Gun Combo is to force the target into the path of one of the guns?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
Or "spray" in one direction, while aiming in the other? In most two gun combos in actual use, the point is to have 12 shots loaded, but generally firing one at a time, or holding them close together in line firing at one target. . .the one cinematic realistic TGC I saw, was an episode of NCIS, where Ziva knew two assassins were breaking down two doors into the room she was in, so standing back, she aimed at both doors carefully, then opened fire with both. . .but that took what equates to a few seconds to line up shots on the two doors, and is more akin to setting up suppressing fire on two smallish openings than aimed fire.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com