Author Topic: Tintamar Setting  (Read 3168 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Tintamar Setting
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Will there be more of Tintamar than the 20+ page teaser in the HARP SF rules?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Tintamar Setting
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Will there be more of Tintamar than the 20+ page teaser in the HARP SF rules?

Yes, we certainly hope so. We already have the title for the setting's premier sourcebook. Separately there's been a partial draft of an adventure module submitted to me but I've been keeping the author for that busy on other matters, so he's not had the chance to make further progress. Open to proposal ideas now that HSF and HSFX are both available.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:33 AM »
Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but my questions concern the Tintamar setting in a way.

Are human spacetravellers using something like cryochambers (like those scientists and astronauts in Kubrick's Space Odyssesy or the space marine crew in Aliens) to reduce needed oxygene, food and water during a voyage?

Did I get this right, the human spaceships and space stations are able to create some artificial earth-like gravity? Or do the characters need to use magnetic boots?

Thanks for your help.  :)
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but my questions concern the Tintamar setting in a way.

Are human spacetravellers using something like cryochambers (like those scientists and astronauts in Kubrick's Space Odyssesy or the space marine crew in Aliens) to reduce needed oxygene, food and water during a voyage?

Not usually. Human Space is not that large and the Lagrange Drive is relatively swift. There are also enough portals that shortcuts can be taken.

Did I get this right, the human spaceships and space stations are able to create some artificial earth-like gravity? Or do the characters need to use magnetic boots?

Artificial gravity exists.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Thanks a lot.  :)

We are playing HARP SF tomorrow for the first time and I was wondering if cryochambers could be a viable possibility to have the characters wake up in a spacecraft and start the adventure in media res. Fortunately, I have an alternative, so no problem there.  ;)

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »

We are playing HARP SF tomorrow for the first time and I was wondering if cryochambers could be a viable possibility to have the characters wake up in a spacecraft and start the adventure in media res. Fortunately, I have an alternative, so no problem there.  ;)

They could be in regeneration tanks and wake up when they are healed.  Cryotanks do exist, mostly used to hold people in the queue for a regen tank!

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »

You running an Incursion* style campaign? I have been thinking about that one myself...

*http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147348652_A_InventoryID_E_0
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
You running an Incursion* style campaign? I have been thinking about that one myself...

*http://www.nobleknight.com/productdetailsearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_2147348652_A_InventoryID_E_0

No, I just wanted the PCs to be completely unaware of the time and the setting, thus I could have them explore and find the facts out on their own. I did not want to "waste" the time by explaining the Campaign Setting, when it did not matter that much - the PCs should investigate their starship, find out who knocked them out & killed half the crew and why, and what happened to the space station their starship is flying to.

But thank you for the mentioning of the Incursion-setting, that is a pretty interesting idea with a lot of potential. I am going to use that when the opportunity arises. :)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »
Uhm, setting related question: Is there a "common tongue" - a trade language or something in this setting? or is this considered to be anglic or something? I apologise if this is in the book, I haven't found it/I have forgotten if I ever read it.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Uhm, setting related question: Is there a "common tongue" - a trade language or something in this setting? or is this considered to be anglic or something? I apologise if this is in the book, I haven't found it/I have forgotten if I ever read it.

For humans, Anglic is considered the standard language.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:52 AM »
Right. I forgot to specify that I was wondering about a common language, trade language, that all the different species use.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »
Right. I forgot to specify that I was wondering about a common language, trade language, that all the different species use.

Nope. There's no common trade language yet.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:38:55 AM »
Ok. Then Ill invent one :)

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff