Author Topic: Computer Archeives  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Darkjedi82

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Computer Archeives
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »
Same Group as SewerCop. And I'm wondering about Computer stuff, as im the Tech guy :)

Computer Archieves: These are menat for Lore type skills as im reading it, but there are some in the group who believes you can use Archeives to Boost ALL skills. The worst (ab)use of it is a Computer Archeive stored with information about the Computer Operation skill, essentially looping it so he roll on the Archeives With Comp. Op, to get a bonus to his next Comp. Op. roll which he then again use archeive to roll a new with his higher bonus, essentially creating an infinity Loop using Archeives and Computer operation.

As i read it, this is coverede under Computer Assisted Equipment, which means he need to pay for the bonus, and the bonus is fixed at a set bonus sum.

Please tell me I'm right, otherwise it seem Archieves are infinitively broken, looping Computer Operation until you have an insane amount of bonus, and then rolling on other Archeives at the end using the heavily modified Computer Operation.

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Computer Archeives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
Hola companero :)

Rules as written says its posssible, rules as intented probably dont want that to happen :)
It wont be a loop due to the possibility to of fumbles that negate the bonus.
And it cant be used for all skills, but as written it can be minmaxed alot.

then again, before people judge us as a group.. Didnt we come to the fact that we couldnt do it more then once?as a houserule?

Anyways, a rules errata would pretty much fix this problem anyways.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
A Knowledge Archive is about knowledge, so quite a few skills cannot be translated into Knowledge Archives. It is also unreasonable to use a Knowledge Archive for infinite bootstrapping. Once only is sound.

These sorts of things will become clarifications in due course and some will doubtless end up as SysOp discussions in the SysOp's Guide.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:56 AM »
Could a computer archive be used to boost a repair/maintenance skill check? What about craft? Or would this be outside the computer archives' potential?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 06:44:42 AM »
 I am on the fence on this one as I think at some point a computer reference archive may be needed to repair things. But that may just depend on your game world. If you think of 3D printers today, and the question of "Just how far will 3D printers be able to go in the future"? Can they print mother-boards in the future? Just what can they and can they not print? So in the future it may be just as simple as follow a few basic instructions and just replace the part with a new printed part.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »
I mean, a manual usually helps (though sometimes can make it even harder), even if you got basic knowledge and skills - albeit at some point for certain things the manual won't really help that much.

I get your point though, I'm not really on the "3D-print solves-like-god" level.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
I agree on the 3D Print is a cure all but it seems to be very big right now.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
Could a computer archive be used to boost a repair/maintenance skill check? What about craft? Or would this be outside the computer archives' potential?

If the Archive is on the particular branch of engineering / crafting, yes. In the sense of Read the Manual kind of boost.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme