Author Topic: Starting Level  (Read 1209 times)

Offline geewaagh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Starting Level
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
Hi all,

I am working on a campaign that was going to be merchant based in traveller.  I decided that I would rather have the crunch of Harp SF and have started making the PC's.  Back in my spacemaster days, I use to start everyone off at 3rd.

Anyway, I do not have a good grasp of what the level system is like in play.  I want the PC's to own and operate a 400 ton "fat trader" from traveller.  They will need to fly, navigate, and fight with this ship without any npc support.  What is a good level for them to start.  Reading examples of landing a ship in 30kph winds in the rules makes me think 1st level will not be a good fit.  Maybe I am wrong.

Suggestions?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Starting Level
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
  I would look at the skill rank necessary for various tasks and map that back to a specific task. For example in your landing question above I would look at all of the mods, get a total mod, then decide on how much risk I would want to party to take (for example I want them to only have 30% chance of failing the roll, 100 (add mods)-30= skill bonus).
  You can also do this of every job on the ship and provide that info to the players before they begin so they know what they need to have when creating their PC's. You can also create some TP's that provide the necessary skill ranks as part of background info.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.