Author Topic: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?  (Read 68105 times)

Offline tarax

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where will you buy your Rolemaster?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:08 PM »
I would have to go to Calgary or special order it from my Comic Store (they carry a few gaming supplies)  Or I would be happy to purchase from the publisher, I would like both a hard copy (hard cover, of the base rules) and a PDF version for tablet.  And likely I will (or the group will) buy two or three copies of some of the books.

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 02:24:16 AM »
I prefer downloads for a couple very specific reason.  I do enjoy having physical copies of my books, however; I have had people walk off with copies of my books (the old 90's edition which is humbug).

So, what I do is print out the books and put them in binders (or possibly comb-bind).  Where this comes in especially convenient is when there are series books.  Books like Creatures and Treasures I, II, and III.  I like to put all of these books in one binder and just call it "Creatures and Treasures."

Also, if a couple of pages gets damaged, replacement is easier.
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 09:41:53 AM »
I would rather be able to thumb through the new RM before buying it in truth as I already own RM2, RMX, RMSS, & RMFRP...so, it'll have to entice me to purchase it...
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
RPGNow Print on Demand is IT!

Why? I prefer my books new, without having to deal with the scuffings from years on some shelf. I'd love to replace my worn out copies with fresh (re-)prints. New old releases are my game!

Playing: RMC (Shadow World) / Spacemaster 2nd (Battletech Mechwarrior)
Collecting: RM2, RMFRP, SM:P
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop
=========================================================

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 04:54:16 AM »
Where? The question should be: WHEN???  ;D
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
Where? The question should be: WHEN???  ;D

Yes, WHEN would be a great question.  ;D

However, I prefer my books printed.  I don't have a laptop with me when I go gaming.  I have a nice desktop tower for gaming but there is just no way for me to bring my desktop with me when I go to a friend's house to game. 

I love being able to take a physical book with me to sit to read, or to lay in bed to read.  If there is a chart or table that I would like, I photocopy it and put it in my GMing binder for quick access.

I don't want to buy a PDF only to turn around and to print it all out so I can read it or access it.  That would end up costing even more in paper/toner cartridges and then I would have stacks of loose paper hanging around.   I had the chance to buy a couple of the books on PDF and it's just not worth it for me.  There are at least 4-5 Shadow World companions I would love to have, but I still can't bring myself to pay almost the same price for PDF vs. printed just to end up printing the pages anyway.

As a side note, having the printed material in Game shops on the shelves is better advertising for ICE and RM.  Who walks into a Game shop and asks "What's new on PDF?  Are there any new game systems out there that I've never experienced that are only online?"  Walking into a Game shop and seeing something "new" or different on the shelf, gets the person to pick up the book and to flip through the pages and maybe get word of the product out there.  If the new material is only on PDF, online, then only the people already in the circle know of it and will download/buy it.  Without the physical presence on the shelves, the new, fresh, curious, younger market will never be tapped as new clients unless a veteran of RM somehow piques their interest.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Profcrab

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »
While I love having the physical books, I also really love having the PDF to search for what I need.

I don't have a convenient game store so I would be buying physical books from Amazon. If I'm buying PDFs, it would be through DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. I've already bought the RMC books through them and have been pretty happy with the result.

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »
I like PDFs for use GMing. I use a laptop (soon to be mini-computer ...) and extra monitor.

I like physical copies for the table (the players) and to have in my library/collection. Someday, deep into the apocalypse, I want to pull games off my shelves and run them by candlelight.

I really like supporting my FLGS - I have several; Olympic Cards and Comics (Olympia, WA, USA) and The Game Matrix (Lakewood, WA, USA). I'm also really liking the Card Kingdom (Seattle, WA, USA) which sits next door and is connected to the Mox Cafe. Not as many RPGs, but the other games, cards and miniatures plus playing areas plus food is OFF the hook amazing. Of course a regular open game of RMU could change the RPG selection a tad... :-)
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2014, 02:27:06 AM »
Olympic Cards and Comics is fairly impressive.  Gabi is a credit to the hobby.  It's rare that you see a game store doing so well.  Best game store in Washington so far as I know.  My only criticism is the miniature selection isn't quite as good as The Game Matrix and definitely not as well organized.  Card Kingdom seems geared more towards CCG's (duh) and things along the lines of Warhammer.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »
  I prefer to support my local Brick and Mortar Game store.  I have been purchasing the PDF's for the Portability (My RM Box weighs around 100lb). 
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline Barwickian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 05:11:51 AM »
I'll order online. I'm in the Middle East, and whole we have a couple of shops stocking Pathfinder and D&D5, everything else is scarce.

I'd much prefer a print/PDF bundle. I like print copies for running and planning, and PDFs got reading on my phone. 

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
  I prefer to support my local Brick and Mortar Game store.  I have been purchasing the PDF's for the Portability (My RM Box weighs around 100lb).

That's an impressive amount!  I bought all my books, save for the absolute latest additions for RM2, from brick and mortar stores.  I did everything I could to try to get people into the store and to just buy items there.  I would buy dice every trip whether I needed them or not just so I wasn't walking out of the store empty handed.  I would carpool friends there each week because I knew that once they were in there, they couldn't leave empty handed either.  They were into so many different game systems, they always found something they wanted to buy.

My RM2 collection is pushing 50 lbs. I'm afraid the straps on the bag are going to let go.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline kwickham

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aioskoru
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
I like print on demand. Writers and publishers can ensure you have the version with updates for the moment, when you print your copy. PDF is usable in the long run, only with hyperlinks. There is no reason for plain PDF, that lacks navigation. That's lazy and amateurish.

For older titles, I buy used online.

Offline joferma0

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Aredia - Campaign Site for Rolemaster (spanish)
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Physical printed version of course. With PDF attached.

Offline thelordoftherats

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Where ever it is available.  I need a printed version though.  It is easier to reference during a game.

Offline Alandeil

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
Physical printed version with PDF attached

Offline Belgerond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Old school!

I use only books and my collection is now about 70 books.
I started as a gamemaster about 20 years a go, but now we use RMSS edition in first time.
eBay and Amazon seems to be only places to find used books. Prices are high!
I was really suprised about these new books for Shadow World.. It was positive suprise! ;D
22 Years of Rolemaster or MERP as GM.

Offline Slygeek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Considering the low Canadian dollar, atrocious shipping fees (not including customs fees)...

Print: Definitely from a Canadian distributor such as amazon.ca
PDF: From drivethrurpg or the Rolemaster website if available.

Although I would recommend a Kickstarter, I would purchase through there. 7th Sea and Conan performed well recently, one of their perks was past 'editions' pdfs included, which seems to really have boosted pledges.

Offline Bravesteel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Protect those who cannot protect themselves.
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »
I'd love to buy a Paper/PDF combo directly from ICE, barring that I'd go PoD/PDF from OneBookShelf.  I don't have a local gaming store to patronage, closest one is 45 minutes away.

Offline juza

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2016, 04:18:38 AM »
I prefer to buy a printed book, I'm an old fashion european Master and I have some difficulties of concentration when I read on a screen. I will buy it online, and then wait for the italian version if some printer will ever do it.