Author Topic: HARP-SF plans?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: HARP-SF plans?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
So, I've been thinking more about this. I'm in no way a professional RPG writer, and it's been about 7 years since I had an active HARP group, SF or Fantasy, so I'm not really up to date nor fluent in HARP-speak anymore.

I've been look around and thinking about how I could contribute, but also what I would like as supplements. One thing really comes to mind: thematic books. These would not be catch all books, more or less complete with everything species, weapons, starship or gear... but rather aimed at types of games like exploration, military (can easily be at least three books: (space) navy, army and covert ops/intelligence), smuggling, bounty hunting, treasure hunting, etc.

They should include gear, equipment, talents and more fitting for that type of game. Design suggestions for characters, profession combos, present and exemplify the Tintamar species in these various themes. I think a central important fact is that the books should be tied to Tintamar, but of course not exclusively, but when it comes to examples at the very least.

I want books similar to Martial Law I guess, but with specific information about types of games, rather than whole new systems and rules for extra stuff. I mean, sure add in new stuff, but make it relevant to a small adventure (which I think should be included in these books too) and a bunch of adventure seeds.

I know this is partly what ICE/GCP has been doing, but at the same time the products are sometimes "too complete". I think a living, vibrant game is in need of a setting (or settings) that is a like a lymphatic system in all its products. Instead of a source book on Earth-space and one on the Nexus sector, why not make books on aspects of this, like: Earth: the navy, Earth: clandestine dealings, Earth: corporate espionage, Belter league: the smuggling ring, Tintamar: survival outside the law; Tintamar: sentient prey, hunting for cash... Nexus: meeting new allies, Nexus: new black markets ... and so on... thoughts? am I getting my idea across? These books would naturally sometimes overlap, but is that necessarily a bad thing?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
So if I understand correctly, it would be a supplement product - probably in the 48 page range which would include some or all of the following with a specific focus:

* Setting Material related to Tintamar setting (fluff and color writing to describe concept and general application)
* Rules Material for -
    - Professions
    - Races
    - Cultures
    - Equipment (including ships if appropriate)
    - Skills
    - Talents/Abilities
* Short adventure for a 1-shot
* Adventure Seeds for other opportunities to use the material

I know this is largely regurgitation of your post - but sometimes it helps to restate what a person is asking for to ensure you have it right.    :D
I like the concept and think this would fit well with gamers being able to use in Tintamar, or apply to their own world.  If done right there should be enough content to expand the Tintamar universe info, but not so much as to make it not desireable for other gamers.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
:) Yeah, around 50 pages could or would suffice I think, it would vary of course, but generally a good number yes.

So I envision/fantasise about a series oriented around areas/planets, but also styles of play. I mean, most professions can find work within most styles of play, be it exploration, espionage, smuggling, bounty hunting, etc. So profession source books in themselves isn't necessary, I think, but of course if a new profession is introduced somewhere that would be something else I guess. Mostly I think about information about how to use professions within a certain style of play, or venues for work in an area or on a planet - including species examples of various professions, TPs/Organisations (i.e. guilds) and so on.

The area/planet supplements should perhaps be slightly more Tintamar focused, but still have aspects of styles of play. The could also be small-ish chapters in the styles of play books, for instance a 1-page spread with information that corresponds with the style presented in the book. This will mean that some planets will, and should, overlap with other books, but I think that is a good thing. While these planets could be intended for Tintamar, they could also easily be ported to other settings, for instance a sidebar could make some suggestions about this? The styles of play books could present some of these in the 1-shot and as seeds for exploration, trade, adventuring, etc.

So, a third regurgitation of my post here. Ooops. :)

The reason for this is that I'd prefer my players to immerse themselves in the game, not the system. I love the harp system, its simple and flexible, but it is prone to calculations and educated guesses about probability that - to me - removes the immersions, suspension of disbelief and role playing... this is of course not a system trait, but its why I'd love more fluff, suggestions and sample adventures which show the depth and alternatives the system actually presents the PCs with. How can the system enhance the narrative, and the other way around, without large systemic changes (we don't want that), without players ending up not doing stuff because they feel their chances are too slim. This is high-adventure, or heroic adventure, role playing. I feel that the only thing "missing" is material that focuses on these other less rules-heavy aspects of the game.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »
My thought process from your previous post would include the planets/areas info in the setting material and in the adventure.

Product about exploratory teams may include a new planet that is habitable, possesses some new monsters, includes some special equipment to support that type of work, some special abilities/talents for the local inhabitants, of course new cultures, skills (or possibly sub-skills).  Follow-up's could take that same team to other worlds...

Another product could be about a military team going into an urban environment on a civilized world to settle an uprising...

Corporate Espionage on a civilized world, perhaps in one of the major corporate entities identified in the main book.

Is this on track?
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
Yes. Sounds like it :)

I've been trying to make some starting adventures for some of my players the last few months - but the regular gaming group and RL events have prevented this from going beyond looking in the core book and extreme. I've been considering both exploration types, criminal stuff and so on. I think short intro books for that sort of stuff, with follow-up expansions could be cool.

I mean, some stuff could be presented akin to the old Bazaar, or as PDF extras for the more properly made styles or themes books.

Disclaimer: I must admit that I am somewhat inspired by FFG's latest SWRPG line(s) when writing this, and WEG's old ShatterZone game of course. :)

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff