Author Topic: SysOp's Guide  (Read 2455 times)

Offline skyinyourcoffee

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SysOp's Guide
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
Hey everyone,
First time posting. I've just recently got into Harp SF (or at least I'm trying to) I've been perusing the main Harp SF book, and I found a lot of content seems to be missing or non-existent, such as crafting, spaceships, etc.
I've seen mention in the book about the Sysop's Guide, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Upon some researching I see the last mention of it seems to be here: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2008/aug/wordsfromthewise114.html
A full five years ago.

My question is, is Harp SF somewhat vaporware? Is it still actively supported? Do people actually play it? And where/when can I find a Sysop's Guide?

It just seems to me like it has been more or less abandoned. Me any my playgroup have been learning the system and creating characters, only to find that the game seems nigh incomplete.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: SysOp's Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
Afaik the SysOp's guide is still in the process of being written/finished.

From what I understand things are slow going due to, amongst other things, some reorganisations of ICE a few years back.

I don't think it is "vaporware", its only that HARP Fantasy is being revised and republished by GCP and then there is the play-test and revision of a new rolemaster game.

HARP SF has at least the SysOp's guide still in line, from what I understand, and hopefully more.

I also think they are open for suggestions and ideas, and they are in somewhat need of more writers - although I could be wrong on the last part.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:31:23 PM »
Hey everyone,
First time posting. I've just recently got into Harp SF (or at least I'm trying to) I've been perusing the main Harp SF book, and I found a lot of content seems to be missing or non-existent, such as crafting, spaceships, etc.
I've seen mention in the book about the Sysop's Guide, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Upon some researching I see the last mention of it seems to be here: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2008/aug/wordsfromthewise114.html
A full five years ago.

My question is, is Harp SF somewhat vaporware? Is it still actively supported? Do people actually play it? And where/when can I find a Sysop's Guide?

It just seems to me like it has been more or less abandoned. Me any my playgroup have been learning the system and creating characters, only to find that the game seems nigh incomplete.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Spacecraft are covered in HARP SF Xtreme as is vehicle combat, robots and cyberware.

HARP SF is not a dead line. Indeed the changes GCP has been making to HARP Fantasy have been constrained by our desire to maintain compatibility with HARP SF. SysOp's Guide will happen in due course, but we've been trying to get the HARP Fantasy portion of HARP back as well (and Rolemaster and Shadow World and Cyradon).

There will be a call for HARP SF writers soon.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline skyinyourcoffee

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
SysOp's Guide will happen in due course

Well this is good to hear.
Thank you for the response!
I'm guessing an approximate timeline would be too much to ask for :P

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:58 AM »
Well College of Magic is soon out from what I understand, which means that HARP Fantasy is getting that much closer to "completion" when it comes to re-releases. After that there is the new monsters book, I'm not sure whether they're re-doing Loot: a field guide, and I'm pretty sure the Codex isn't being re-released, although some of that stuff might appear in Something Wicked - which I guess is next after that.

Then there's Cyradon and the RM stuff...

I'd hope that the SysOp's Guide doesn't have to wait for all of that, but I expect it to have to wait until at least the new monsters book.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
Well College of Magic is soon out from what I understand, which means that HARP Fantasy is getting that much closer to "completion" when it comes to re-releases. After that there is the new monsters book, I'm not sure whether they're re-doing Loot: a field guide, and I'm pretty sure the Codex isn't being re-released, although some of that stuff might appear in Something Wicked - which I guess is next after that.

Then there's Cyradon and the RM stuff...

I'd hope that the SysOp's Guide doesn't have to wait for all of that, but I expect it to have to wait until at least the new monsters book.

HARP Bestiary is a key project as the Cyradon bestiary chapter depends upon it, and the SysOp Guide's alien creature creation chapter also depends on it. More correctly, they depend upon the final fleshing out of the monster creation system that creating umpteen fantasy monsters will inevitably produce. (building lots of monsters will generate a slew of balanced monster abilities.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
I think that's Nicholas' subtle way to remind me that I need to finish working on a spreadsheet...  ;D
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »
I think that's Nicholas' subtle way to remind me that I need to finish working on a spreadsheet...  ;D

Yeah!  So get to work! 

hehe, just kidding. 

Working on other projects and wanting to work on some of the SciFi stuff (after the current projects are nearing completion) as well, I understand the work and time commitment that goes into these projects.  So for those wondering on time-lines, it is often difficult to provide as even if one is provided with most of the work being done by freelancers (avid fans that also have real-lives) those timelines can often times slip and slide around a fair bit. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
That's been done now for a bit... we're working through a bit of clean-up on it, but it's moving forward. I'm looking forward to my first previews of the new beasties these guys are putting together and can only try to imagine what will be coming when we hit creatures from multiple planets and star systems.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
Re: SysOp's Guide and questions
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »
future info , WHERE IT MIGHT FIT IN.
i AM CURRENTLY RUNNING A HARP SF game and have encounter issue I have answered my self, would think that it might be important to future Sys ops/.
There are ranks but i did not see what  the rank talent and background has specifically listed as to what or how the ranks are listed in the star soldiers and Astronaut.
what do these ranks get payed annually
can a beginnign player use Development points to raise their starting money.
what the Astro vavey policy on ship conscription and crew conscription , if you want to trade in the federation do you have to get a licensed how do they Astronavy keep Silth from infiltrating the systems if their is no transponders or signals, have the silth learned to disguise them selves as human or vise a verse ?>
what are the standard birthing fees terrifs and Taxes to operate in Federations space. 
what embargo's or prohibited items in or around what worlds?
what are their tech level or law level, where is weapon carrier laws on each world?
what about rules for transhumans and Replicas ?
what are the laws for cloning and clone back up, and what are the laws for clones inheritance, or longevity treatments?
how are telepaths allowed near people or Government agencies or what prohibitions against Adepts and Fusions ?
Is Cyradon a world that can be visited by space , dose magic only work by world or is it universal?
are magic world off limits ? what the difference between psionics and magic?
can a psionic learn magic , how is magic effected by electromagnetic/Electromagnetic fields.
Can Elves and Dwarves and Gnome and dragons be other spaces encountered by space travelers ?
did a mega corp like Disney, put out custom starships that resembled classical science fiction props, like the light freighter that looks like the Millennium Falcon or the scout ship that looks like the NCX-1701 ENTERPRISE ?

why are scout ships less maneuverable and and less armor then a light frightening?
what about gunboats/gunships/destroyers
and yes battleship rules or large to large battleship rules for crew would be fun
to have for the game, but space fleet battles like that of battlestar galatica are so cool.

Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
Any news on the SysOp's Guide?

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff