Author Topic: Is thier plans for other HARP Genra settings . . . like HARP MODERN hORROR OR  (Read 4264 times)

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
you got Harp SF, Harp Fantasy- how about Harp- Horror, HARP-pulp adventure/thrillers/Western/Modern action
HARP Victorian Fantasy- HARP-TIMETRAVEL-Alternaty realities<history>
'ok just a few questions or maybe I should repost some of them else where?
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"
Zoe: "Big damn heroes, sir."
Mal: "Ain't we just!"

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Here's a link to that very same question.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
I'm actually having a couple of friends proofread a article I've written for the Guild Companion right now.  It contains an organization that can be used in a HARP modern horror campaign, or other similar campaigns (all the NPCs are stated out in HARP Sci-Fi rules).

I should be able to submit it soon.  Depending on what they suggest and how real life treats me this week.

I've been hammering out details of how to use Harp Sci-Fi to run a modern or near future game.  I've even started a follow up article to the above article on how to do so.  Unfortunately it is in no shape for publishing any time soon (if ever).  Besides I would actually look forward to an official sourcebook for this.

For the most part it is pretty simple to use Harp Sci-Fi for modern settings.  The only snags I've seen are keeping the skill distribution balanced, and dealing with cultures and training packages.  Custom cultures and training packages would get around this pretty well.

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Perhaps an enterprising busybody could write up a setting: HARP Red Tape -- roleplaying in the halls of bureaucracy! :)
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
i have an old Horror setting; Named Gravequest
the premise is that high school and college student are being invited to a strange scavanger hunt, by a mysterous figure named the Grand skull keeper. student are grouped into small team and are given strange assignment to go stay in a cemetery or learn this chant and say it over a specific grave at the stroke of midnight- if they comeplet the task they are awarded  points when they gain enough point they make a rank they earn moeny and other prizes , more chants and more assignment. where is this leading? is it true some student have encountered ghost? or even worse? its said some are slowly being taught witchcraft and other have even been attacked by strange creatures or zombies. where is this heading and why only young people?
there a underground web sight and even a kind of manual to the game being handed out and found in photocopiers!
the police are investigating ever sense those student where killed at the old Bradley place, say they where play that game as well.
in the Manual it has the ranks
its warlock and witch
Knight stalker and Witch hunter
even the highest  rank is 
the highest rank is . . . . . . . Grand Skull keeper?
Mal: "Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. Whaddya suppose that makes us?"

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Good question, actually. Well, how about something like HARP Victorian Steampunk Pulp Adventures?

Is anybody working on that (or something similar) and how can I contribute to that?

And if nobody is working on that, how interesting does that sound?  ???
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline area51games

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • GOT DICE?
to me that sound Cool and a great place to start, you can make it a supplement to HARP SF
OR ALTERNATE REALITY OR ANOTHER PLANET in the setting.
I plan on using Cryradon as a world that is discovered by my PC 's and see if they report it or
explore it or both, or exploit it!
how am I going to handle magic and Tech , well simple its a Its a planet by Planet issue.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Considering the current fascination with zombies...

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13549.msg173515#msg173515

(bN)(S/N)Z = bSZ

N = Total population
S = Number of susceptible people
Z = Zombie population
b = Likelihood of transmission

Apply to an interplanetary civilization in HARP SF, World War Z style.  :o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Good question, actually. Well, how about something like HARP Victorian Steampunk Pulp Adventures?

Is anybody working on that (or something similar) and how can I contribute to that?

And if nobody is working on that, how interesting does that sound?  ???
Sounds very interesting.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Are there plans for other HARP Genre settings...?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
I plan on using Cryradon as a world that is discovered by my PC 's and see if they report it or
explore it or both, or exploit it!

If you plan to do that, I propose you take a look at the works of the Russian authors Strugazki, especially at Hard to be a God and Roadside Picnic. Both science fiction works present the possible and very likely reaction of cultures and societies that are "brushed slightly" / "touched" by a much more advanced culture.

By the way, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. computer games are losely based on Roadside Picnic; the Russian film Stalker is the film of the novel (even if the novel takes place in Canada and the film in Russia) and in my opinion quite impressive.

If you are planning to watch the film, you should be aware that it was made in 1979, long before Spielberg's Jaws. Jaws changed the way films were made, most films after it usually have a significant higher storytelling pace and much more suspense. Thus the film Stalker can sometimes seem to be boring and told with the speed of a dead three-legged turtle, but it is subtle, thoughtful and in my opinion it needs this pace.

Oh by the way, there is an official Stalker RPG written by the Finnish author and game designer Ville Vuorela that I really like, but that is not really important to this discussion.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Jaws was made in 1975. :)
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Damn it - I hate my memory.  :-[

Thanks for the correction!  :)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
I believe that HARP's constrained and simple rule base and the very tight compatibility between Fantasy and SF makes it an excellent fit for doing genre books such as a HARP Steampunk or a HARP Cyberpunk or whatever.  I'm not putting out formal calls for genre books at this point as there are Too Many Other Things To Do Right Now but if a very good proposal turns up in my inbox, I'll certainly give it a very close look.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme