Author Topic: Ammuntion and Energy costs in vehicular space combat  (Read 1449 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Ammuntion and Energy costs in vehicular space combat
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
Hey all,

Has anyone found or determined how many shots a vehicle has per ton in space combat?  This question can apply to lasers and energy weapons too.

I used my Gurps spaceships and some assumptions to come up with some numbers on my own, but am just wondering if anyone else has answered this question already.

The numbers I've come up with are as follows:

Small Autocannon (assuming a 30mm caseless autocannon with a very high rate of fire).  1000 shots per ton in 2 second rounds, or 50 shots per ton in 1 minute rounds.  1 ton cost 50,000 sols/ton.

Small Lasercannon (assuming a 5x progression for energy use per size category).  150 En/shot in 2 second rounds, or 2,500 En/shot in 1 minute rounds.

Oh, and I've also come up with the figure of 250 man/days of life support consumables and provisions per ton.  These provisions cost about 2,000 creds/ton.  These semi-perishable provisions will keep for between 18 and 24 months and need some minor processing (mixing and cooking, ect) to make ready, which requires a small galley or automated food production unit.

Thanks,

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
Re: Ammuntion and Energy costs in vehicular space combat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »
Forgive me if this is obvious... about autocannon ammo: is this supposed to be how many shots you have? So, if combat is run using 1 min turns, 1 ton is 50 attack rolls before you have to reload? And if you go for 2 second rounds you basically have 1000 attack rolls per ton?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Ammuntion and Energy costs in vehicular space combat
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
Correct.  I can't remember my math but I suspect I assumed firing a shot every most every round.  So that would explain why ammo consumption is so much higher for 1 minute rounds.  That assumption is probably not so great - I probably should have used something closer to 1 shot ever 3 to 5 rounds to account for bad positioning  and assumed aimed shots.  Aimed shots are certainly less wasteful, and probably get about the same results as just pounding away with the guns almost every round.  Although my PCs do tend to prefer just holding down the trigger every combat round when we are operating in rounds.

I also saw your other post about space combat and energy use.  That one will take more time to answer and I really need to go to bed.  So I should get around to it tomorrow.

Regards,
-Pyrotech