Author Topic: What System Location does the Shield subsystem fit into?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
What System Location does the Shield subsystem fit into?
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Looks like I failed to hit "post" on my last and much better worded post on this topic.

Now I'm too irritated to recreate it anywhere near as well thought out.

Anyway, I'm creating a vehicle record sheet for Harp Sci-Fi and have come across a question.

Most subsystems are fairly self evident as to where they fit into the system location chart for hit locations.  But I'm not so sure on the Shields subsystem.

Hull is getting the Armor, surface features, and probably cargo subsystems.
Weapon Systems gets the weapons and Point Defense subsystem.
Motive gets the vehicle motive device (engine, jet, propeller, etc.)
Control gets the Communications subsystem (with the EW subsystem), The Sensor Subsystem, and the Main Computer Subsystem.
The Power System gets the Powersource/Reactor subsystem and the Fuel Subsystem.
And finally the Crew Module gets the Bridge/Cab subsystem and Habitats subsystem.   I would probably add life support to this location as well, but I may not call that out separately as it probably has redundancy all over the ship.

So where does the Shield subsystem fit in?  I'm leaning towards the Motive System.  One this system is under represented, and two the shields sound like they are tied to the gravitomagnetic drive.

Are there any other ideas on this?

Also once I finish this spreadsheet/record sheet I intend to post it to the vault if anyone is interested in using it.

Thanks,

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: What System Location does the Shield subsystem fit into?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »
Shield goes with Motive but Motive and Power are usually fairly close together also by the nature of the tech.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
I think it depends upon how the shields work, though I am 90% sure they need some sort of "emitter" on the outer hull and some sort of energy source and device that will usually be somewhere deep inside. That says to me that there will be some on the hull, and other pieces inside the ship, probably around the motive or control. (I don't think they would put it near the power as that could cause some serious bad things to happen if the shield system gets over taxed - but, if you so decide, they may have to in order for the shields to have access to the power they need.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »
Well I've submitted this record sheet to the vault.  So if the powers that be accept my humble offering it may be available soon.

It isn't what I wanted when I started, and it isn't really what I want now, but it is a start.  It isn't pretty, but it is probably better than nothing.  It seems too cluttered to me, and I'm not sure how much of it will really be useful in play.  So if anyone has any feedback on it let me know or take your best shot on making a better one.

Thanks!

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Thank you for the record sheet. :)

There is only a minor mistake I noticed: you forgot an "a" in Initiative. ;)

The only points I am not so happy about are that the record sheet could be printer friendlier, that it is printed in a landscape format and not in a portrait format (if you know what I mean), but that's it. But that is not a problem, since you generously included the .xls-file.

So once again: thank you!
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I've been distracted working on an egyption pantheon cleric spell list, so I haven't been working on my Harp Sci-Fi adventure that I needed this for.  I'm just about done with that so I should get back to this pretty soon.

I'll play around with it again and see if I can improve on it any now that I have had some time away from it.

Thanks again,

-Pyrotech
-Pyrotech