Author Topic: Scaling encounters for vehicular combats  (Read 1819 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Scaling encounters for vehicular combats
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
I've been neglecting my HARP Sci-Fi adventure recently, but plan on getting back to work on it soon.  I'm at a point where I need to start detailing the encounters, and 80% of them will be space vehicular combats. 

Has anyone worked out guidelines for planning expected challenge levels for these kinds of encounters?  I've got my own "gut feelings" and will run a practice game or two before finishing it, but I would like to have to tweak as little as possible after playtesting and get the difficulty right the first time.

-Pyrotech

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Scaling encounters for vehicular combats
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:21:48 AM »
What type of ship are the PCs in? How many PCs and or friendly NPCs / AIs are there for the various stations aboard  the ship? How many weapons and what is the weapon attack sizes? At least to begin with you should avoid giving them ship board bonuses.

For a scoutship or light armed freighter, going up against same or a pair of starfighters is usually a fair fight. Corvettes are more challenging as are more fighters. Frigates, destroyers and cruisers will imperil all but the best player teams. I have had my players get involved in full-blown space battles duking it out with much bigger ships but by that time their ship was state of the art, the PCs were 10th lvl plus and the group had gelled.

bedt wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the response Nicholas - I know you are being kept busy!

The ship is an brand new but out of date gun ship (stats are below)
(click to show/hide)

The enemy crafts will be technically superior but with inferior crew and some design flaws. 

Silth Pilot:
(click to show/hide)

And the Silth Ships:
(click to show/hide)

In many of the encounters the PCs will be part of a larger fleet and be able to use Squadron engagement rules.  In most encounters they will have numeric advantages, but attrition will begin to eat its way through the fleet as the adventure goes along.  By the end they are most likely going to be alone.

AIs will be practically non-existent in this adventure (they are at a lost colony at the end of the Human-Silth War encountering a similarly backwoods Silth Clan).

I was kind of guessing 1 gunboat could reasonably take on 2 fighters or 1 raider and expect to win.  I'm not sure how many gunboats (or the very similar missile boats in the fleet) would be needed to drop the larger psudo-corvette.  The Silth have better reactors, slightly better weapons, and better sensors - but their craft are weaker than the modern Astronavy equivelants and their pilots are not too great.

Thanks again for the feedback!
-Pyrotech

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
 I have not read my HARP Sci Fi in a while but IMHO secondary equipment like life support is a must for many craft in the military. Just think one simple crit and the crew is without life support and better be wearing space suits or be able to get into them quickly. Also the secondary systems take up space and mass and IMHO would up the mass of all ships if required by law.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »
I agree with you markc,

If I were building a spacecraft I would want at least 3 parallel sets of life support located in different sections of the ship.  That gives you one to run, one as a backup in case of a failure, and one to be down for maintenance/repair.  But Harp Sci-Fi doesn't really dig into that level of detail on ships and equipment. 

When calculating the weight of passengers/crew and their life support needs for a ship I just use my rough figure of 150kg per passenger/crew + (50 kgs * (a occupancy factor) * (a cabin factor)) + food/water/air needs. 

The occupancy factor is still something I am banging on but right now is 1 for short occupancy (<8hrs), 2 for medium occupancy (9-16 hrs), 4 for long occupancy (17hrs - 2 days), 8 for extended occupancy (3 - 90 days), or 10 for indefinite oppupancy (>3months).  And the cabin factor is 0.5 for open cockpits (motorcycles), 1 for cramped cockpits (jet fighters), 2 for normal cockpits (cars), 3 for roomy cabins (locomotive cabin), 4 for bigger yet cabins.  I still haven't balanced these numbers with the examples in the book.

For the food/water/air requirements I just looked at the US military documents on the weight of various storage term provisions.  I don't have them handy now or I would list them.  But I did find them on the internet without too much trouble.

But I'm still kind of guessing on the challenge rating of space encounters.  Maybe I'll try to build a Pareto chart for the various relevant factors (crew skill, speed, maneuverability, init, hits, armor, shields, PD, weapons, etc.).

-Pyrotech

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
In general I try and run a test encounter (or one that is in the PCs). Then I extrapolate from there on the fly. In a home game it is not such a big deal butif you are building for a publishedadventure or a con event it is much tougher on you to do so.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
 Your above info also reminded me of BattleTec as it has a tec superior and skill superior force going against a force that has less tech and in general not as good skills.
  If I was to just guess at a number I might say the advanced tec would be a 2 to 3 ratio or a 4 to 5 ratio. But again that is a force guess if you can make the weapons and ships have some grading number vs the players and their grade.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.