Author Topic: Equipment tables  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Equipment tables
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
I am working on an excel spreadsheet version of the character sheet in HARP SF. I have run into a few problems on the equipment tables.
1. I noticed some of the tables indicate mass as kilograms but some don't say kilograms. Are the tables that do not indicate kg's in kilograms or grams?
If it is in kg's then some of the equipment seems a little heavy considering possible advancements in materials and weight reduction, especially when compared to the advancements in the last 100 years. Why would a computer mainframe weigh a ton in the future? For that matter would they still use mainframes? Imagine what computer technology will be like in the next few hundred years.
2. Is it possible to get average weights for the clothing and footwear? I am not very good with the metric measurements, I am more familiar with american measurements. I am not even sure what the weights for clothing  in the future would be, but all I need are averages for my sheet. If I don't get a response I will try to research today's clothing weights and convert then reduce the weight between 10% to 50%, though that will greatly increase the time I have to work on this.

As a side note here is my topic on the actual character sheet: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=14885.msg183411#msg183411

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Equipment tables
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »
I am working on an excel spreadsheet version of the character sheet in HARP SF. I have run into a few problems on the equipment tables.
1. I noticed some of the tables indicate mass as kilograms but some don't say kilograms. Are the tables that do not indicate kg's in kilograms or grams?

Kilos.

If it is in kg's then some of the equipment seems a little heavy considering possible advancements in materials and weight reduction, especially when compared to the advancements in the last 100 years. Why would a computer mainframe weigh a ton in the future? For that matter would they still use mainframes? Imagine what computer technology will be like in the next few hundred years.

Mainframes are a designation for a nonportable, extremely powerful computer. They might be a mainframe in the old school style, they might be a server farm of many, many computers in a tight grid, or something completely different.

2. Is it possible to get average weights for the clothing and footwear? I am not very good with the metric measurements, I am more familiar with american measurements. I am not even sure what the weights for clothing  in the future would be, but all I need are averages for my sheet. If I don't get a response I will try to research today's clothing weights and convert then reduce the weight between 10% to 50%, though that will greatly increase the time I have to work on this.

Just make some weights up based on today's clothing. (For research, I'd just fill a suitcase and weigh it if I was you! Or put your shoes on a scale.)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme