Author Topic: Derived Stats for vehicles in Harp Sci-Fi  (Read 1673 times)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Derived Stats for vehicles in Harp Sci-Fi
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
Hey all,

Has anyone done any work trying to find a way to come up with the "derived" vehicle stats in Harp Sci-Fi?

I would consider the derived stats to be Hits, Man, speed/Gees, Cost and Init.  The others I would probably just assign a level/rating to.  Speed/Gees are a grey one for me on being derived or set and calculating the size/weight requirements to achieve the value.

I've been trying to hammer out a vehicle construction system to use until an official system is released.  I'm pretty sure I can just base it on the SM:P tech law with a few assumptions.  Harp Sci-Fi has (in my opinion) significantly different derived stats however.  I'm trying to keep my system consistent/close to the stats offered in Sci-Fi Xtreme.

I'm coming close on a Hits system but it is complicated and not pretty (and the Mini-shuttle just doesn't add up to even close to the same value).  Maneuverability seems to be largely dictated by the drive type, but exceptions exist and spacecraft start varying wildly.  And init I've not even really started to find a pattern with yet.  I'm saving cost to the end once I've gotten a system that works on the other stats.

Once I get a handle on these stats I'm pretty sure it would be fairly trivial to adapt the old vehicle construction rules to Harp Sci-Fi. 

So I am just wondering if anyone else has made any headway on a system to calculate these stats?
-Pyrotech

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Derived Stats for vehicles in Harp Sci-Fi
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
That is something I've been thinking about wanting to do since I purchased the two HARP-SF books, but don't currently have the time to spare due to the RMU project I've been writing and other things going on.  Would really like to get back into sci-fi gaming at some point in the near future and such a system would be fantastic to have available.  Out of all the RPG related activities there are, designing and detailing things is probably my favorite (ships, space stations, castles, forts, cave complexes, cities, mapping wilderness areas, etc.).

It would be really great if something could be developed that can be used with both HARP-SF and a sci-fi version of RMU if/when it comes out, that way future ship and equipment books as well as adventure modules could potentially be produced to work with both systems fairly easily. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
I would send a note to Nicholas HM Caldwell and see what he can tell you.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
What is the best way to send this kind of question to Nicholas?

PM on the forum?  E-mail to the director@ account?

With this being the end of May, I suspect he may be a bit busy with grades and finals, but maybe once that is over he may be able to give me a clue for these stats.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
I do not know if one method is better than another.

Also I was going to PM you about the star ship creation rules for SM2, you have armored assault and it has all of the star ship creation rules in that product. The only extra rules in SS are for combat.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »
IM or Email him.  All of the email addresses end up going to the same place so any email that is associated with him is fine.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com